What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mon-50 anti personel directional fragmentation mine, Russia

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a Russian Mon-50 directional fragmentation anti-personal mine.
The mine consist of a plastic box, bend in the length direction , so the fragments disperse in a 54 degrees angle forward. The front panel of the mine is slightly concave to force the fragments into a narrow horizontal band forward. This ensures that at 50 mtrs the fragments will have spread over 45 meters width.
A slice of plastic explosives is placed behind the fragments. A plastic back cover closes the mine body.
On top of the mine body a simple sight is cast that allows the mine to be aimed at a certain point. On the left- and on the right side of the sight a fuze well is placed, housing an aluminium pipe, which forms the well for the detonator of the fuzes.
At the base of the mine body an internally threaded pipe piece is cast to the mine body which is used to screw the adapter in. With this adapter the mine can be screwed , either clamped to branches, fence poles or planks.
When the adapter piece is not used the mine can be stuck into the ground, sticking the folding legs into the ground.
When used in snow, the mine is to be dug in firmly in the snow, using compacted snow to place the mine in with its legs, covering the visible part of the mine with loose snow.

Technical Data:
Height complete mine body: 140mm
Height mine body box: 110mm
Width mine body: 226mm
Depth mine: 66mm
Height mine on legs and with fuze: 360mm
Weight mine: 2kg
Weight explosive charge: 0,7 kg plastic explosives
Material mine body: plastic
Number of fragments: 485 pcs cylinders cut from wire.

Time fuze WZD-6Tsch:
This fuze is meant to detonate explosive charges after a pre-set time delay.

Height fuze housing (w/o top screw and detonator): 83mm
Width fuze housing : 47,5mm
Depth fuze housing : 22mm
Minimum delay time : 15 minutes
Maximum delay time: 6 hours
Weight fuze : 0,23 kg
Time setting step (minimal) : 10 minutes
Deviation: Plus minus 5 minutes
Temperature range : -15 degr. C up to +40 degr. C

The fuze is set by unscrewing the big screw on top and remove the outer housing. The clock can be set to the desired time (5 hours on picture 04). After that, the housing is placed back, the detonator is screwed in the top of the mine /explosive charge, and the mine fuze housing is screwed over the firing cap of the detonator.
When the firing cap pushes upward the lever (part No.11 in pict 05 fuze drawing) the clock starts running down.

The fuze can be disarmed, however this is only allowed 30 minutes before the set time expires.
As this cannot be seen from the outside, I assume this can only be done by the person who placed the mine and knows the delay time.

On the other side, an ADP-r fuze adapter piece is placed, housing the electric detonator. A long electric wire is connected to the detonator, enabling the mine to be set of manually by means of an exploder machine or a battery when using it in an ambush.

The mine can be considered the Russian version of the US M18(A1) Claymore mine, although slightly bigger.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - Mon-50 cutaway model on legs.JPG
    01 - Mon-50 cutaway model on legs.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 02 - Mon-50 cutaway model front.JPG
    02 - Mon-50 cutaway model front.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 03 - Mon-50 cutaway model backside.JPG
    03 - Mon-50 cutaway model backside.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 04 - Time fuze WZD-6Tsch.JPG
    04 - Time fuze WZD-6Tsch.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 05 - time fuze WZD-6Tsch drawing mechanism.jpg
    05 - time fuze WZD-6Tsch drawing mechanism.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 55
pzgr40,
You have few mistakes,
give me email and I`ll give explanation, if you`re interesting in it ;)