What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MON-50 Questions..

motorcityman

What do they use as shrapnal? Is it ball bearings like in an M18 claymore? Also if you guys know are the MON-50 trainers weighted like an original?

It's more of a cut rod. Don't remember seeing a trainer as such, there are the live items, then the same items marked with white as not explosive loaded, same as with the OZMs. I've seen live items in green and brown.

I think I have an open one at home, if nobody beats me to it I'll try and take some photos tonight.

The MON 50 does not use ball bearings in the fragment matrix. It contains chopped rod fragments somewhat neatly laid out in vertical rows under the plastic matrix. I have not chipped one out, but each fragment is approximately 1/4" long and about 3/16" in diameter. None of the MON series of mines (50, 100, 200) use ball bearings that I have ever seen. My guess is that is is purely an economic driven thing. No matter what quality of material they are made of, steel balls are more expensive than chopping up a straight steel rod. Both are equally as effective in the close range of the Claymore/MON mines.
I have seen MON 50 training mines both empty and filled with a tan putty-like inert filling. This particular one had the putty-like material in it.

Bob

Grrr....forgot the photos I had. Bob

Attachments

• MON 50 1.jpg
    MON 50 1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 62
  • MON 50 2.jpg
    MON 50 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 76
  • MON 50 3.jpg
    MON 50 3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 65
Bob,
yours is as I was discussing - the same mine (live vs training) with the white marks for training vs HE fill - have you ever seen a separate and different training mine, as the US did with many types?

Jeff, No, all the training mines I have ever seen have been of this type. I was told that someone in Cambodia had a solid plastic version with Soviet markings, but when I was there I was neve able to track him or it down. bob

Here's a couple of mine in green and brown.

Attachments

• DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0163.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 40