What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mortar ammunition 120mm

operatooor

hello,
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I need to ask you about mortar and ammunition of it, it's for 120 mm mortar :[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1-those ammunition have been founded with Gaddafi troops after they surrendered.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2- is it made in Russia , coz there is an Russian label on it?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3- some of them explode in tube of mortar when it's released, i know maybe because it's old, but i heard there is an (suicide) ammunition for mortar, so it's explode when others fire it, is that right or no ?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4- what is the mean of sign like (--) and (+) and (++) on the ammunition, is there's mean for it?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 - forgive me for my bad English , and i want to know about it because we have an small magazine interest in army issues,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]u can find and electronic copy from it on this like if u like to surf it:[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.17feb-team.org/wp-content/plugins/page-flip-image-gallery/popup.php?book_id=3[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]it's called (ZENAD) it's Arabic word mean trigger[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i attached photo for it [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i hope u care about my questions and my message,[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thank u in advance[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ABBAS ahmed[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ZENAD magazine[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MISUARATA - LIBYA

View attachment 58809[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View attachment 58820View attachment 58819View attachment 58818View attachment 58817View attachment 58816View attachment 58815View attachment 58814View attachment 58813View attachment 58812View attachment 58811View attachment 58810View attachment 58808View attachment 58822View attachment 58821[/FONT]

Your attachments don't seem to work. Go to the bottom of the screen and pick on "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachments" , then "add files", then basic uploader, and load each photo.

Last edited:
The one with the "46" in circle is made in Bulgaria, also the box they are in (Bulgaria is using cyrillic script) and the other one looks North Korean (if not so then Chinese but I have never seen this script on Chinese ammo).

It is very difficult to comment on the reasons for explosions upon firing these (would require an in depth examination) but the fuzes on these shells look like not suitable for these mortar shells (these here are for tank guns).
Always keep in mind that only if a thread fits it does not mean that a fuze can be used on any ammunition.
So already the use of these wrong fuzes might be the cause of the incidents you described.

I understand the nature of things that been going on in Lybia and that the lack of highly skilled ordnance experts led to actions like these.

Last edited:
ive asked before: anybody have a code book for east european factories? i.e. from the USSR?
for example

20 = Tula Ammunition Plant
39 = Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant

and so on

(--) and (+) and (++), etc. are the weight classes of the ammo.

Here they are:

ЛГ (cyrillic "LG"): more than 3 % below standard

---- : 2,33 to 3 % below standard

--- : 1,66 to 2,33 % below standard

-- : 1 to 1,66 % below standard

- : 0,33 to 1 % below standard

Н (cyrillic "N"): 0,33 % below to 0,33 % above standard

+ : 0,33 to 1 % above standard

++ : 1 to 1,66 % above standard

+++ : 1,66 to 2,33 % above standard

++++ : 2,33 to 3 % above standard

ТЖ (cyrillic "TZh"): more than 3 % above standard

So the gunner is able to compensate the different mass of projectiles. It is almost impossible for a factory to manufacture ammo with always the exact same weight

Last edited:
ive asked before: anybody have a code book for east european factories? i.e. from the USSR?
for example

20 = Tula Ammunition Plant
39 = Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant

and so on

Be patient, there will be one and not only about numbers but also about logos and letters (abbreviations used).