What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Munitions revealed in landslip

It was and still is now an ongoing task / concern for 5131(BD)Sqn RAF, but recently they left here permanent base at Cowden due to cost etc etc. But the problem will not go away until all the land is cleared and its a lot of land. The falling of the cliffs were the only way they can clear that bit - too dangerous to climb. Tonnes of munitions were cleared on a yearly basis and still more thousands of tonnes left. The range was used until the early 80's

CNV00131.JPGCNV00138.jpgCNV00133.jpgCNV00134.jpgCNV00135.jpgCNV00136.jpgCNV00139.jpgCNV00140.JPGCNV00130.jpgCNV00128.JPGCNV00132.JPGCNV00129.jpgCNV00137.JPGThe photos have been added in a random order.
I paid a visit there one day in August. That part of the coast is fairly remote. If you go there make sure you know the tide times. While I was there the tide came in and I had to climb up the cliff to get off the beach rather than get wet feet etc. I had already determined an escape route for that eventuality. For anyone keen to see for themselves, the area is about 2 miles north of Mappleton but Mappleton gives the only access onto the beach. Basically get onto the beach, turn right and walk until you see these remains. The holes near the top of the cliff in the first photo were made by Sand Martins or similar. As you can see from the photos, the cliff face is mud and clay and can be readliy undercut by the sea. Add heavy rain and the cliff slumps down toward the sea. A recently planted crop of wheat or barley (not sure which) was already sliding onto the beach.

Last edited:
I know for a fact they don't have a 11 1/2lb tail spare as the only one they do have is in their training flight at Luffenham

Last edited:
Cannot be certain, but others may have the dia for the tail units that my be compatable.

I have a feeling the 10lb ones are the same i will have to see what they have got, have they got an email address do you know.
many thanks
A

Some photos from a visit a couple of years ago. Agree about the tide, good job the cliffs aren't that high_C191201.jpg_C191203.jpg_C191204.jpg_C191207.jpg