What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MUSA (DM-1240) dispenser munition for MW-1 dispenser

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a MUSA (DM-1240) dispenser munition. MUSA means Multi Splitter Aktiv (High fragmentation Activ).
The MUSA was one of the six types of antimaterial/antipersonnel fragmentation minelet types of submunition used in the German MW-1 (MehrzweckWaffe -1 /Multi role Weapon -1) dispenser, the German version of the Brittish JP-233 which only uses two different types of submunitions.

The primary function of the MW-1 weapon system was to deny area’s, channel or stop troop/vehicle movement, destroy armoured vehicles and cripple airfields. Therefore, there were six configurations of MW-1’s, each with it’s own type of submunition.
The MW-1 was designed to be used under different planes like the Panavia Tornado, the F-104G Starfighter and the F16. Eventually it was used under the Panavia Tornado MRCA only.
With Germany signing the Ottawa threaty, the MW-1 dispenser system was phased out.

The MW-1 dispenser used the following submunitions:

-The 1lb (0,54kg) KB44; KleinBombe / Small bomb 44; a small shaped charge bomblet, designed to pierce the tops of tank turrets and destroy by sheer numbers. A MW-1 can dispense 4,704 pcs.
-The 7.5lb (3,4kg) MIFF (Mine Flach-Flach / Mine Surface-Surface) anti-tank mine. A MW-1 can dispense 872 pcs.
-The 9.25lb (4,5kg) MUSA (MUlti SPlitter Aktiv / Multi Fragments Activ) bomblet. A MW-1 can dispense 672 pcs.
-The 9.25lb (4,5kg) MUSPA (MUlti Splitter Passiv Aktiv / Multi Fragments Passive Activ); similar to MUSA but with a time-delayed fuse and a microphone activated fuze. A MW-1 can dispense 672 pcs.
-The 37.5lb (17kg) STABO (STArtbahn BOmbe) anti-runway bomblet. A MW-1 can dispense 224 pcs.
-The 37.5 (17kg) A-SW which has a small rocket booster and is designed to penetrate hardened aircraft shelters and bunkers. A MW-1 can dispense 224 pcs.

The MUSA is a heavy fragmentation bomblet with 2100 tungsten pellets (4,1mm dia.) as the primary lethal mechanism. Once it has been parachute delivered, the MUSA self-rights, arms and explodes.
The MUSA differs from the MUSPA as the latter one has an acoustic sensor which actively senses for an aircraft engine or vehicle signature and a long time delay.
The MUSA has no real fuze present; instead it consists of a rotor safety mechanism with a self-destruct clockwork; in fact it is an explosive charge that explodes as soon as it has been erected.
Both the MUSA explosive charge as well as the MUSPA minelet are meant to disrupt airfields, preventing planes from taking off and landing, and preventing vehicles from moving over the airfield.
One full MW-1load of 672 MUSA or MUSPA minelets will effectively cover an area of 400 mtrs. wide and 2500 mtrs long in such a way that the displacement of any motorized vehicle in that area will lead to an appr. 50% loss.

In ideal conditions the launching plane has a speed of 925 km/hr (500 KIAS) at a height of 46 mtrs (150 ft).
The minelets are ejected sideways from the dispenser with a speed adjusted to the desired dispersion pattern. These are: 109 mtrs/sec, 72 mtrs/sec, 44 mtrs/sec, 21 mtrs/sec.
Depending upon the speed of the launching plane the minelet will hit the ground with a speed of between 40 and 100 mtrs/sec.

The mine is build up of a steel body with a pipe piece at the base. Around this pipe piece the erecting springs package is crimped in place, the erecting springs kept inward by a retainer ring (missing in this cutaway model). An aluminium sleeve is placed in the mine body. The space beteen this sleeve and the mine body is filled with 2100 tungsten pellets, cast in resign. On the top of the mine the fuze housing is placed, connected to the body with a round crimp. The fuze housing has a depression in the center in which the fuze is placed (Fuze well). The top cover, locking up the fuze is screwed to the fuze housing. Four slots at 90 degrees each house a mall shaft each to which the wires of the dragchute are connected. The dragchute of the mine is placed in the hole of the pipe at the base of the minebody of the mine above it when in the dispenser.
The dragchute will not really slow the descent of the mine, it will however direct the mine in such a way that it will fall on it’s -reinforced- base. Upon impact, the retainer ring breaks open, allowing the erecting springs to pop out and force the mine straight upward, either on it’s base, either on it’s top plate. This enshures that the tungsten pellets will be dispersed 360 degrees around.

The fuze is build up of a rotor safety system, that rotates an off line electric detonator (4) in a rotor against a booster (2) in the center of the fuze housing (see added drawing). A mechanical safety withdrawal pin (7) keeps the rotor fixated as long as the mine is still in the launching tube of the MW-1 dispenser. The electric connector plug is used to give the mine activation signal upon launching and loading the capacitator. The connector plug is ripped off upon launch. The electrically switched release mechanisms (3 & 5) are withdrawn after launch.

A German description of the mine functioning sequence states that after launch of the MUSA:

- The mechanical safety pin is withdrawn from the rotor.
- The fuze’s electric safety’s are removed after a certain time lapse
- The bomblets separate from one another
- The airflow pulls out the parachute’s
- The Musa falls on the ground in the desired orientation.
- The springs pop out, erecting the bomblet.
- After a time lapse of 20 seconds the timer activates the electric detonator (4), exploding the MUSA.

From the outside one cannot see the difference between a MUSA bomblet or MUSPA minelet, the difference is on the inside of the mine, in the fuzing system. In the drawing, in top of the fuze, one can see the yellow surface (Marked with a red B), existing of pur foam as a filler piece with this fuze. With the MUSPA mine this houses the battery and the impact sensor that enshures the mine’s microphone is activated and powered, and also the for the electronic delayed self destruct of the mine.
It is in fact the same fuze as used with the MIFF mine, exept with the MIFF the fuze is connected to a metal detector spool instead of a microphone.
As no battery is present in this fuze (drilled small hole in foam), I can safely assume it is a MUSA bomblet, and not a MUSPA minelet.

Diameter of the mine: 132mm
Height of the mine: 149,6mm
Explosive charge: 1200 grams

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - MUSA during fall.jpg
    01 - MUSA during fall.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 02 - MUSA.JPG
    02 - MUSA.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 03 - MUSA Minelet drawing.jpg