What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Avatar Japanese 25mm Cannon

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

Due to a request from Moondoggy as quote;

"By the way, I like your avatar picture. What is the story there? Is that a WWII antiarcraft gun in the jungle? I have always been curious about your picture."

This photo was taken around about 1995 on Bougainville during the civil war between the Bougainville Revolutionary Army and the Papua New Guinea Defense Force.

It is a what I originaly thought was a Japanese Type 93 13.2mm Heavy Machine Gun but now I think maybe it is actually a Type 96 25mm auto cannon with a tri-pod mount. This Japanese 25mm cannon was recommissioned by the BRA and used in the attack against the PNGDF camp at the Catholic Mission Station at Koromila, Central Bougainville. The chap with the .22 rifle is using the scope for spotting and directing fire. The cannon is positioned on a hill overlooking the mission. Needless to say the BRA took the PNGDF camp.

This WWII Japanese cannon was still useable after 50 years in the tropical jungle. The ammunition also was still reliable.

I of course didn't take the photo but I know some of the people that were involoved including one of my brother-in-laws.

This shot was not taken during live action and hence the magazine is empty. To conserve ammunition it was tightly monitered and issued as required.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Attachments

• A BOUG BRA 02.jpg
    A BOUG BRA 02.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 28
I remember well that time, Bougainville, losing some money over there as a shareholder of the former Bougainville Copper Co. :tinysmile_cry_t4:
hope circumstances have turned better for all involved parties since then !?