What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Butterfly Bomb

skull181

Here's my "Butterfly Bomb" or parts of it.....

I hope to restore this back to a decent condition, when I find the "missing parts"

On the third picture, there is a number/code??

Attachments

• Butterfly Bomb 005 (640x480).jpg
    Butterfly Bomb 005 (640x480).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Butterfly Bomb 006 (640x480).jpg
    Butterfly Bomb 006 (640x480).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Butterfly Bomb 007 (640x480).jpg
    Butterfly Bomb 007 (640x480).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Butterfly Bomb 008 (640x480).jpg
    Butterfly Bomb 008 (640x480).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 64
Always nice to see anything butterfly bomb related - thanks for sharing.

The markings are 12 bzl 42

12 would be the batch number
42 the date of manufacture - 1942
bzl the manufacturer - Fredrich Siemens-Werke AG - Wein 146, Wagramerstr.96 (Austria)

I have part of an end vane with similar markings - see attatchment below. hope this helps.

kindest regards Kev

HPIM9231.jpgHPIM9228.jpg

Here's my "Butterfly Bomb" or parts of it.....

I hope to restore this back to a decent condition, when I find the "missing parts"

On the third picture, there is a number/code??

Oh dear, you're on the slippery slope of always hunting for more SD2's just like me and butterfly.
Nice wings, always nice to see them with original paint on them.
Thanks for posting the photos.
Dave.

Hi Peter,

Have already sent you details of the SD2 Fuses you asked for. Noting your last post, you can obtain a reproduction arming spindle from "Dug Up" see their "Warehouse 13" selection of quality replica's.

Marcus

Oh dear, you're on the slippery slope of always hunting for more SD2's just like me and butterfly.
Nice wings, always nice to see them with original paint on them.
Thanks for posting the photos.
Dave.

Oh im still in the game too Dave.. ;) Just gone underground for a while.

best

waffy

I've given it a good dose of WD 40 and some oil, but, what do I do next?, like removing the WD-40???

I've given it a good dose of WD 40 and some oil, but, what do I do next?, like removing the WD-40???
Hi take a look at the following thread.
Post 8 shows before, post 28 after.
I use Hammerite rust remover dip that you can get in Halfords, you mix it with 10 parts water to 1 part dip.
If you put the wings on something hot the oil will dry out (I've done that before by putting them on top of a wood burning stove - NOT in the stove!) but be careful of all that nice original paint.
Hope this helps and good luck with it. I've spent many a happy hour fiddling around with SD2 and M83's. They really were over engineered. I've never counted up the total parts that are in an SD2 including the fuze parts but the wings have about 23 parts on their own (4 springs, 4 rods, 6 wing spacers, 1 wing cradle, 2 paddles, 2 brake wings, 2 closing brackets on the brake wings, 2 support brackets on the paddles).
Dave.

I've got a fuze/gane and the reproduction arm spindle on the way....

Thats great news!!.........

You have some nice original paint on the wings and if I were you would consider trying to save it if you can.....the Hammerite dip Dave recommends is very good, it removes the rust but leaves the paint intact, though you have to be careful on the length of time you dip it for. Much better to do it a bit at a time, dipping it longer if you think it needs it. You will have to remove all oil before dipping though as this affects the process.

regards Kev

Thats great news!!.........

You have some nice original paint on the wings and if I were you would consider trying to save it if you can.....the Hammerite dip Dave recommends is very good, it removes the rust but leaves the paint intact, though you have to be careful on the length of time you dip it for. Much better to do it a bit at a time, dipping it longer if you think it needs it. You will have to remove all oil before dipping though as this affects the process.

regards Kev

What's the best way to clean the WD 40 from it??

What's the best way to clean the WD 40 from it??

I typed in removing WD40 in my search engine and it came up with quite a few links with various suggestions, de-greaser, acetone and alcohol etc, however be very careful what you use on something like this if you want to retain the original paint as any chemical based products may do more harm than good.
Personally I would suggest trying a good clean with soap and water and then leaving to dry thoroughly -( we certainly have good drying weather right now!!!! )

Maybe other members have better suggestions, but would advise you go with the 'tried and tested'.

regards Kev