What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My latest aquisition

ordman

3 inch M42 AA

Hey guys
Just recived this round in the mail
M42 3" AA TRT I or L (see pics
Looks to have an M2 M/T FUZE
Though it's not marked
A big THANKS goes out to US SUBS for helping me get this.

P1040049.jpgP1040050.jpgP1040051.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats. You will notice that the explosive cavity should have a flat bottom instead of the normal teardrop shape of the newer M42A1. So, what does the TRT 1 stand for?

Not sure what TRTI could be TRTL or TRTP
TRTP is Acetone peroxide (triacetone triperoxide, peroxyacetone, TATP, TCAP)
Lets ask the crew any info on this

Hello ordman,

I've wanted to get back to you regarding your great 3-inch AA M42 projectile and finally have some time. I've included some photographs of a couple of my M42 projectiles along with the correct cartridge casing (3-inch MARK 1 M1) and picture of the M1917 3-inch AA gun. Your fuze is not an M2 M/T fuze but rather an initial production M42 M/T fuze (see photo). They did away with the gap at the base of the fuze cap with the M42A1. The two correct fuzes for the AA projectile were the AA MK. III and the M42 M/T. One unique feature of the 3-inch AA M42 projectiles was the circular grove machined into the top of the projectile (see photo). All had the booster locking screw included. The shorter 3-IN MARK II M1 cartridge casing would be correct also when used in the M1918 mobile AA gun.

Best regards,

Randall

P1010010.JPGP1010014.jpgP1010012.JPGP1010006.JPGP1010013.JPGP1010009.JPGP1010008.JPGP1010011.JPGP1010007.JPG3-AA-pic-2.jpg

Hi John,

I'm not quite sure what projectile you're referring to. The ink drawing of the M42 AA shell indicates that yellow paint & black lettering were the norm. The orange/yellow colored M42 projectile in it's MARK 1 M1 casing is 100% original but heavily aged. I can't 100% confirm that the other yellow projectiles paint is original. What makes you think smoke?

Best regards,

Randall

Randall,

Photos 1, 7, and 8 look to be the light "seafoam green" of smoke projectiles, according to U.S. color codes. Photo 6 looks yellow.

Hi John,

I have to apologize for the different hues of yellow paint on the stand alone projectile. With the flash, etc. I certainly understand how you can see shades of green. I'll take a few photographs of it in the bright sunshine tomorrow to show it's real color.
The color of the M42 in the MARK I M1 casing is very, very close to ordman's projectile.

Best regards,

Randall

John,

Here is the M42 AA projectile in bright sunshine. It's a light yellow paint color.

Best regards,

Randall

P1010003.jpg

thanks for the info
I've included a couple of ord drawings for you
Showing both variants

75-1-54-9.jpg75-1-38.jpg
75-14-170-3.jpg
I think my round has only the vermillion primer on it
if you look at the third pic it notes the primer and top color
I think I have both varients of the round but will need to check

I'm catologing some 60,000 ordnance dwgs covering just about every thing from machining, production, assembly, markings and packing I still have 58,000 to go through. artillery, mortars, rockets, bombs, mines, you name it

Last edited:
Hello ordman,

And here I thought I was sending you some interesting information about the M42 AA shells. Thank you for the FANTASTIC ink drawings of both examples of the AA M42.

Best regards,

Randall