What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Rocket / Grenade

MG34NZ

Hi all,
Heres a mystery object belonging to a collector friend of mine, The only real info on it is it came from a WWI veterins shed many years ago so is assumed to be WWI vintage and most likley military.
I wonder if it was a parachute flare or propaganda type grenade possiably along the lines of a grenatenwerfer?

Any help in sheding some light on this would be much appreciated

Regards

Andrew MG34NZ

Attachments

• Rocket1 (Custom).jpg
    Rocket1 (Custom).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Rocket2 (Custom).jpg
    Rocket2 (Custom).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Rocket3 (Custom).jpg
    Rocket3 (Custom).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 56
  • Rocket (Custom).jpg
    Rocket (Custom).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 41
Hi.
This is as you guessed, a 1ww german illuminating grenade fired from the granatwerfer 16. It should have a cone shaped nose cone.
Very nice.:tinysmile_grin_t:
Cheers, Paul.

Thank you Paul, you are indeed a scholar.
:top:

Can someone post a pic of the complete item??

Regards
Andrew MG34NZ

Hello Paul the Grenade

This is as you guessed, a 1ww german illuminating grenade fired from the granatwerfer 16. It should have a cone shaped nose cone.

What is the difference between the illuminate grenade and the message grenade ?

Hi pascal.
I dont know about the message grenade. I have no pictures.:tinysmile_angry2_t:
Hopefully someone will have the info we need.
Paul.

Hi

I have perharps my answer.

Take a look here page 24. It's from the document "En attendant les dmineurs", Mr Belot.

The grenade n 8 seems message grenade. It's larger than the other illuminating grenades.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 61
Also fired from the Signalwerfer

The signalwerfer fired the lighter flare rounds but not the heavy HE . The fins of the HE projectiles are wider than the flare projectiles and will not fit into the safety guard that surrounds the spigot. This is rusted away on the dug example shown previously.

Attachments

• Signalwerfer-Grantenwerfer.jpg
    Signalwerfer-Grantenwerfer.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: