What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery round

SG500

Premium Member
This one sold on e bay in May 2006 for 536 (not to me unfortunately).
I've never been able to find out any more details about it.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Presumably at least 2 people did as it sold for so much
Dave.

Attachments

• Strange shell 1 536 May 06.jpg
    Strange shell 1 536 May 06.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Strange shell 2 536 May 06.jpg
    Strange shell 2 536 May 06.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Strange shell 3 536 May 06.jpg
    Strange shell 3 536 May 06.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Strange shell 4  536 May 06.jpg
    Strange shell 4 536 May 06.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 101
Interesting

Well, here is my 2 cents for what its worth....

AUX = POLTE, Madgeburg
43 = 1943
the bottom number, I would suspect is a lot number.

As to what the case is..... I think it may be an experimental squeeze bore ammunition cartridge case....

or.... something someone has made up.....

Any dimensions??

(Just a ball o' help aint I :angel: )

Thanks for the ideas guys, no dimensions but you can see someones fingers in one of the photos that give a very rough idea.

Anyone else any ideas? Clearly a rare piece. Who knows, perhaps someone on BOCN owns it and can help enlighten us as to what it is?

Dave.

Cartridge..

Could it be the following: "Cartridge, Machine, ball, .4 inch, Mark I, Solid Drawn Case", which was fired from the patterns of the Gardner machine gun?

Just a guess.

This case is an extended and necked down 37x250R Pak. The 7302 referrs to 37-20 what is the caliber - here 20mm.
Same designation is used on the Patrone 318 = 13-8 and on the 28mm sPzB 41 which is the 8202 = 28-20.
Hard to say if it was only for squeeze bores since the caliber coding was eventually used on full calibers (318) and also on squeeze bores (8202).

There exist two more of these cases with exactly the same hs, one empty and one with a HE shell on it what is puzzling since the caliber coding was used so far on primarily AT cartridge designs.

Last edited:
This case is a extended and necked down 37x250R Pak. The 7302 referrs to 37-20 what is the caliber - here 20mm.
Same designation is used on the Patrone 318 = 13-8 and on the 28mm sPzB 41 which is the 8202 = 28-20.
Hard to say if it was only for squeeze bores since the caliber coding was eventually used on full calibers (318) and also on squeeze bores (8202).

There exist two more of these cases with exactly the same hs, one empty and one with a HE shell on it what is puzzling since thes caliber coding was used so far on primarily AT cartridge designs.

Thanks for the additional information EOD.
Dave.