What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval 175MM Brass casing...

shelldude

Here is a U.S. Naval 175MM brass shell casing that we used during the initial stages of the "MAJOR CALIBER LIGHT WEIGHT GUN" program of the late 1960's - early 1970's. The program initally used Vietnam era 175mm Army projectiles before changing their mind and going with the 8-inch gun that was installed onto the U.S.S. Hull. The program was a success but was cancelled during the major funding cutbacks of the 1970's. This gun was FULLY automated and had a phenomenal rate of fire. It's my understanding that fewer then a half dozen of these 175MM casings still exist. The dimensions are: 44 & 1/2" long, 10 & 9/16" diameter at the base and 8 & 3/8" diameter at it's mouth. The stamped inscriptions on the base read: 175MM EX 1 MOD 0 , DWG 10001-2434876 , NIV , LOT 2 , 07 70.

Best regards,

Randall

P.S. Jeff (U.S.SUBS), Thanks for showing your 175mm projectiles, They gave me this idea of showing the casing.

Attachments

• P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 78
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 85
Nice item

Wow Randall that is one hell of a case and complete with pedigree !

Were the projectiles standard or slightly modified and do you have one?

Thanks for showing us all.

Hello Chris,

From the scant reference information I've been able to acquire regarding the gun program, the 175mm projectiles were standard army ordnance. I haven't acquired a projectile to go with the casing. My display area can't accept a big boy like this right now.

Best regards,

Randall

Lovely case.

Hello Chris,

From the scant reference information I've been able to acquire regarding the gun program, the 175mm projectiles were standard army ordnance. I haven't acquired a projectile to go with the casing. My display area can't accept a big boy like this right now.

Best regards,

Randall

Well Randall hopefully you will be able to acquire one in the future as I expect the two items together would be well impressive to say the least!
I think you have the most difficult bit to obtain in your picture, so getting a standard shell will doubtless not be a problem for you.

Thanks for showing us that superb item :cheers:

Last edited:
175mm brass shell casing

I was wondering if any of the members could tell me if the shell casing I purchased today is hard to find and what it may be worth. It looks just like the one posted in photos by Shelldude. It has the exact same size measurements as the one described above. The only difference is the Lot #, this one has 175mm EX1 Mod O, NIV Lot 3, 06 70. This is one impressive shell case.

Hello jpriday1,

I've had my 175MM casing for ten years now. If you would like some scarce reference information regarding the "MAJOR CALIBER LIGHT WEIGHT GUN" program that the casings were manufactured for, just let me know. A total of 202 175mm shells were fired during the program before they went to the 8-inch HC shell. The 8-inch brass casing was the same diameter but 1 & 1/2" longer. I've never been able to document the exact number of casings manufactured but I've been informed the Navy refurbished then as the program progressed. NICE FIND!

Best regards,

Randall

I thought I would add a bit of information about the shell casings that are discussed here. I worked for a brief time at the factory where they were made, but years after they were made. At that time we made the MLRS rocket motor casings and warhead skins, and a variety of other projectiles, casings, and rocket motor bodies. These casing were manufactured by Norris Industries in Vernon California (NIV). The originator of the company (K.T. Norris) perfected the method of ironing steel into cartridge casings for use in WWII, and that's where he made his fortune.

The largest hydraulic press in the factory was rated at 6,000 tons. It stood 3 stories above ground, and 3 stories below ground. There were only two of these presses in existence, one at Norris and the other at the Naval Gun Factory (NGF headstamp). One company craned their press in through the roof of the factory, and the other built their factory around their press.

The final operation to make the 175mm and 8 inch cases, was to squeeze them so hard that the rim was pushed out to its final diameter, and this was done with the 6,000 ton press. During peacetime they formed other items in the press, which included among other things, bathtubs.

Last edited:
Hello jpriday1,

I've had my 175MM casing for ten years now. If you would like some scarce reference information regarding the "MAJOR CALIBER LIGHT WEIGHT GUN" program that the casings were manufactured for, just let me know. A total of 202 175mm shells were fired during the program before they went to the 8-inch HC shell. The 8-inch brass casing was the same diameter but 1 & 1/2" longer. I've never been able to document the exact number of casings manufactured but I've been informed the Navy refurbished then as the program progressed. NICE FIND!

Best regards,

Randall

Randall, thanks for the info, it sounds like this is a scarce item to find. I'm not a collector, but I think I will keep this shell as a conversation piece. I would still like to find out some sort of value, so if someone makes me an offer I don't go stupid and sell it for nothing.

John,

As with anything collectable, the price is whatever the market will bear. You might be able to do better in a trade, especially with the economy as screwed as it is. Just as a reference, 8 inch brass cases of the same shape, just a couple of inches longer were selling for $200 to $300 a few years ago.

Hello guys,

John, thanks for the information regarding the manufacture of these behemoth brass shell casings, simple amazing! The 8-inch cases John mentioned at around $400.00 were the largest brass casings ever used by the U.S. at 50 & 5/16" in length. These were used on the Navies Des Moines class heavy cruisers and can still be found for sale. The 175MM & 8-inch casings used on the MCLWG program are around 4-6 inches shorter then these and were manufactured in significantly smaller numbers. Since the value of a collectable depends heavily on it's scarcity and how badly a buyer wants it, I personally think $400.00 would be the very minimum.

Best regards,

Randall

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate everyone taking time to answer my questions. I am also thrilled that the big casing has some value. Thanks, John