What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval 3" /50 CAL gun cases.

Dronic69

Premium Member
Good evening all,

Pick up a couple of naval 3" /50 CAL cases today - which I gather are Mark 3's from the case length of 595mm

Both appear to be dated 1918 and apart from the heavy tarnish sides, the base still has signs of the original stencilling.

I haven't come across these before, so I'm curious how "common" they may be now?

Any ideas on the de-cryption of the markings?

I guess "R.R.A" is not Rock River Arms?

T.B & C & Co?

J.A?

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN7513.JPG
    DSCN7513.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN7514.JPG
    DSCN7514.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN7515.JPG
    DSCN7515.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN7517.JPG
    DSCN7517.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN7519.JPG
    DSCN7519.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 33
My understanding is that on these early USN cases the initials are the Superintendent and the inspector for the ammunition lot. Good discussion on this subject on the cartridges section of the site, dated 20 April 14, titled Headstamps for USN 1,3 and 6pdrs.

Very interesting!!!

According to the diagram in that thread, if the "NGF" is replaced by the Contractor's initials (T.B. & C Co), the Superintendent's initials are omitted (R.R.A), which is not the case on these two cases.

Always some exceptions to the rules

Does anyone else have any USN non NGF cases that also deviate from the above like these 2?

Did you also notice what appears to be a small arrow after the A in the inspector's initials (J.A.^) [arrow pointing downwards toward the dot]

Cheers

BTW - Forum Admins - perhaps this thread should be tacked onto the other "Headstamps for USN" thread?

Last edited: