What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval 4" - 4.5" Shells (Not Guns)

jayteepee_1999

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Does anyone out there know where I can get information on Naval 4 inch and 41/2 Inch shells - not guns. Albeit, books, drawings, technical info, pictures, links to websites, official books and alike.

Range date from before WWI to WWII

Many Thanks

Hi John
Can Sandy help in your quest ? Or our new member Bruce who has an interest in shells

Last edited by a moderator:
4 in

Hi
On left, this AP shot used since WW2 with N12 base fuse Special, dated 12/18
L 338mm
On right, this HE shell used since WW1 With nose fuze P N1 dated 1912
Explosive Lyddite
There is a brass plug on base shell, L 384 mm
There is another HE shell L 405 mm with brass reduced eye setting with P N18 fuze

Attachments

• 4in ww1.jpg
    4in ww1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 36
4 &4.5 info

At the risk of stating the obvious the Handbooks on ammunition 1909, 1915 and 1945 are Naval ammo books and cover 4in, the 1945 hand book covers 4.5in, there may be hand books dated between, there are Treaise on ammunition but they are a bit more land sevice. If you have a specific question may be able to help as have the above books.

Hi JTP

I have a print of the 1945 Naval ammunition book. You can borrow it if you can get it to where you are. Or is there a specific question?

Is this work related ? 4 in shells are forever being dredged up and found at aggregate yards, but 4.5s are a lot less common for some reason. In fact doctor's picture gives me flashbacks!