What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval shell ID.

zephyr4

I take it this is some type of Naval shell because of the anchor on the base, what type I don't know.
I would like to say thanks to the members who have already helped with the other shells I have posted on the forum.

z4

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 60
I can't wait to see what you're going to show us next,Steve,this Russian
round I have seen images of before,and identical rounds are shown in various info websites,if you are interested in seeing more of these,and many others besides.I did,of course,eventually discover that your last round was a very scarce and most desirable Gruson 1pdr,and find that
no one seemed willing to tell you this in the open forum rather a pity,and
not really in the spirit of a community such as ours.If the comic opera
Arabic cuss this thought provoked from me,upset anyone,then I should apologize,as this was not my intention.I would hesitate to say such a thing
to a heavily armed member of the Taliban,methinks!!!!!

christhurston.Any chance you can point me in the right direction so I can find out about the markings on the base and a picture of the gun what used this shell.

Thanks z4

Hello Steve,the easiest source for pictures of the Russian guns is probably
Google,just plumb in "russian 37mm hotchkiss guns".I don't know if anyone
has deciphered the headstamps,I shall investigate,if no one else comes in on this.
Chris.

I'm way out of my depth with all this,really,but the headstamp on your round does not look particularly Russian,to me,anyway.It could well be French made,the same as the guns probably were.If you want to see a very similar headstamp to yours,just slightly different dates,and several
others a bit later,go to a French website www.histavia21.net If you scroll
down nearly to the bottom until you see a box that mentions Munavia-21,
click where it says Armes Munitions-Divers,scroll down again,and click on
37mm Hotchkiss Russie.
Chris.

Thanks for the link Chris,the shell at the top of the page has nearly the same markings,my shell is 3 years older so maybe thats the difference.

z4

I can't wait to see what you're going to show us next,Steve,this Russian
round I have seen images of before,and identical rounds are shown in various info websites,if you are interested in seeing more of these,and many others besides.I did,of course,eventually discover that your last round was a very scarce and most desirable Gruson 1pdr,and find that
no one seemed willing to tell you this in the open forum rather a pity,and
not really in the spirit of a community such as ours.If the comic opera
Arabic cuss this thought provoked from me,upset anyone,then I should apologize,as this was not my intention.I would hesitate to say such a thing
to a heavily armed member of the Taliban,methinks!!!!!

Well I'd hate to be accused of not being "in the spirit of a community" so here's some extra detail on the headstamp: :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

0.311-13 is the case length and calibre shown as a fraction of a foot.

18 'anchor' 96 is the year of manfacture and the anchor indicates naval service.

The Cyrillic letters at 12 o'clock on the headstamp are 'A. I. E.'

You are,undoubtably,a veritable pillar of this community,Patrick,and as far as I know,entirely blameless in what I thought was rather "ill spirited".