What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval surprise shell case..guess along.

Michel

Today this case found it's way to me. My main collection is naval shell cases so this is going to be a good suprice for me what kind it is. The encrustations are so thick that it is impossible to tell what the headstamp is going to be like so I am not sure what it is. I'am not going to thake measurements because that is going to take away the surprise if somebody wants to take a guess you are welcome to do so.

I have put the bottom in a solution to soften up the encrustations and in 2 days I will place a picture of the headstamp (if there is one). It could be a lot of things...wartime or after, English, French, American, does not look German...take a guess.
image.jpgimage.jpg

If not German, i guess the size is about 4-5 inch, hight about 60-70 cm, lookt like a bit tapered, not sure, it looks like a loner, not out a wreck because of the looks of the brass, so i guess.... an 5 inch naval MK1-4.

Gentleman you where close. After 2 day soaking in a weak acid solution the case gave up it secret. In the first two taps with the hammer I already knew what it was, the number 130 appeared.
image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

It it was a French 130mm model 1919 in the model 1924 variation. The headstamp reads 130-1919-24. MAI 3.5.38.
nice because the other 1919 is already in my collection. Suprice was also the ink stamps on the base indicating filling in 1938.
The rest of the case i'am going to leave in the concretion because it looks really good.

Nice she.l with the ink markings too. 130 mm, 5 inch not to bad. What was the length? and is it necked?

Yes ! A much nicer shell than my 5 in 38. The one I have here is 679 mm tall, and is not tapered.