What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NC50 fins device

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I found this picture on internet.
I assume these bombs are German NC50 (smoke bombs).
It's the first time I see such a device fitted on fins.
Is it a transit cap to prevent damage on fins ?

b.jpg

This is a photograph that has puzzled me for a long time. I understand it was taken in Romania during ww2.
It could be a NC 50 W-C D/See with its brake plate , the "Bremsplatte" .
Here's the description from LDv .4200 "Die deutsche Abwurmunition"
"1. Purpose of useThe NC 50 W-C serves as a floating signal for aircraft crews in distress. It is crafted with Yellow Paint Mist. It has a fog duration of 8-10 minutes and creates a yellow wall of fog 10-20 m high and about 500 m long. Depending on the weather, the wall lasts up to 30 minutes.

2. Description
The NC 50 W-C is designed as a floating body, has the outer shape of the SC 50, a rear brake to reduce the final speed, is around 20 mm longer and has no igniter insert. It is only hung horizontally inboard.
The rebound and fall time of the NC 50 W-C are due to deceleration by the tube with the mech. Brake plate connected to the breakaway fuse is larger than that of the SC 50. Minimum release height 500 m.
In the event of water impact, the rear igniter is unlocked and activated by destroying the brake plate, igniting the ignition charge and thus also the fog charge."
NC50W N_02_1943.jpg

and from TM-9-1985-2
"The fuze has a spring loaded strike held away from the flash cap by retaining ball. They are held in place by a release rod passing down through the center of the striker. At the tail end, this rod passes through a circular plate and is held by a split pin. The circular plate is fastened by three screws to a drogue plate which is lipped over the tail fins. It is fastened to the tail by four projections from the fins which pass through the slots and are then bent over. Waterproofing at the trail is provided by a rubber seal. On impact with the water, the tail drogue is wrenched off and carries the fuze release rod with it. The fuze fires and the smoke producing agent is ignited. When the bomb floats to the surface, heat destroys the rubber seal and smoke is emitted."
NC50WC Screenshot 2023-03-13 183921.jpg

But I have never seen a photograph of the NC50 W-C bomb, enabling to show the shape of the drogue plate.

Last edited:
Tail cone is open as NC50 or NC50D.
Maybe one of these with "Bremsplatte" or "Hemmplatte" (name of the plate in a doc on NC50D See).