What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help identifying the following handgrenades

tikiman

Hope somebody can help identify these handgrendades?<br><br>Thanks

Attachments

• 31844a.jpg
    31844a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 31844.jpg
    31844.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 31843a.jpg
    31843a.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 31843.jpg
    31843.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 31698c.jpg
    31698c.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 31698a.jpg
    31698a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 41
Pictures 3 and 4 show a british No 36 Mills

I'm sure there are members that will help out with the others

regards Kev

First is a french WW1 Citros Foug, second is a 36 mills, British, and the third looks like an early American Mk2 with full yellow HE paint and botton filler screw. it looks like the Mills is a JPS (joseph parks and sons).

Don't know much about the first two grenades, but the 5th and 6th pictures look to be closer to the French F-1 body. Recently had a job where we ran across a lot of them in addition to the US Mk I and Mk II bodies for comparison. Cheers, Bruce.

Don't know much about the first two grenades, but the 5th and 6th pictures look to be closer to the French F-1 body. Recently had a job where we ran across a lot of them in addition to the US Mk I and Mk II bodies for comparison. Cheers, Bruce.

I think you are right about the French F-1 body. Thanks Bruce

Pic 1 and 2 Citroen Foug French WW1 gren, Pic 3 and 4 Mills 36M with ww2 era filler plug, Pic 5 and 6 appear to be same, id go for French F1, but could also be Russian or USA.

EDIT- Apologies, thought I was 1st to reply!.

Last edited:
Yep. I canged my mind now. I think they are F1 bodies. Must have been drunk when I looked at the pics first

Oddly enough, the area that I mentioned in my reply is in the US and all of the grenade bodies that we found fuzed had the US Mk II cutback, including the F-1's. Cheers, Bruce.

Oddly enough, the area that I mentioned in my reply is in the US and all of the grenade bodies that we found fuzed had the US Mk II cutback, including the F-1's. Cheers, Bruce.

Bruce,

Where was that? Quite a bit of testing was done on those items in 1917-1918 and I'd be interested to see if it was related to there.

Mike

Dave, probably just coincidence that a No.36 and a Citron Foug share the initials PF.

Assuming they represent the maker's initials on the No.36, then there's a reasonable probability of it being The Park Foundry Co, Belper, Derbyshire. PF produced 100,000 No.36 between July and September 1940, but I wasn't aware until now that they were a WWI Mills manufacturer. However, they were a pre-WWI iron foundry, so perhaps not unreasonable that they should make Mills' bodies, if not all the other components.

Tom.

On closer inspection Tom i will agree with you its more than likely WW2, i got this example from South Africa many years ago in the hope it was made there,,,,,,,,, Dave