What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with german fuze AZ 1 series

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I try to clarify a family story : German AZ1, ...

I found in my computer a picture of AZ1/1 short like a Kz AZ1 but I can't remember when and where I downloaded this one.
The AZ1/1 I know is different. The internal part is different (not exactly same shape) as Az1 (photos 1, 2 and 3).
So I need help to understand what I see (with details, digrams, etc...)

AZ%201-1.jpgSAM_2671.jpgAZ%201-1 - Copie.jpg

AZ1
AZ1.jpg

AZ1/1
az 1 1 a.jpgAZ 1 1 b.jpg

kz AZ1 (what kz stands for ? Kurz ?)
kz az1.jpg

Last edited:
I only have the following descriptions of the AZ1 & AZ1/1:

AZ1: Aufschlagzunder 1 (Nose Percussion Fuze)
A direct-action and graze fuse for low-velocity guns, of 49.5mm (1.95") and with an optional 0.15 sec delay.
The fuse was 105mm (4.14") in length.

AZ1/1: Aufschlagzunder 1/1
This was a modification of the AZ 1 in respect of the delay unit assembly.
Both models were usually painted dark grey, although later production was often of rust-proof steel.

"KZ" from my understanding is "Klappensicherungzunder"

Our German members may provide a better translation of the meaning.....

Cheers

Last edited:
in this combination Kz. means kurz = short (in relation to the length of the fuze, not the length of delay). "KZ" both letters in upper case on other fuzes means Kopfzünder = head fuze (nose fuze).

The changes made in the evolution from AZ23 to AZ1 series had two mayor reasons: save rare metals like aluminium, brass, copper (Sparstoffe) and simplifying the machining process - saving machine hours to get larger production numbers.

Last edited:
The AZ1 was designed to have the same external shape as AZ 23 fuzes.
The kz AZ 1 is shorter, the external shape is closer to Le Jgr Z 23 and s Jgr Z 23 fuzes. It was used with 7,5cm and 15 cm Infanteriegeschütz ammunition. For these lower velocity projectiles the spring holding the centrifugal safety elements is weaker. kz in this case stands for kurz.

IMHO the AZ 1/1 in the third row of pictures is some type of prototype. As far as I have learned the AZ 1/1 is the one with one piece body (pics 1-3) AZ 1 has body made of two pieces.

Delay was 0,15 or 0,1 seconds, some modern sources give a non delay variant od kzAZ1 marked with a nipple on the cap. the delay is not by a colum of black powder drilled to propper height but a delay cap. Then it did not need the powder booster.

There are mentions of AZ 1/2, AZ 1/3 and 1/4 fuzes but no hard data.

Last edited:
Or is the reason why the post count is so close is that you are always kindly answering my "stupid" questions????

:tinysmile_cry_t:

Attachments

• Posts.png
    Posts.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 13