What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need ID for .45 round

Spaceinvader

Hello all!
These are not my rounds, but a friends who needs them ID'd. He got them in a lot of other small caliber stuff, mostly different handgun AP rounds, and some experimental FN rounds. They all came from a guy in the UK. This specific one has no markings, but is a mild AP round. Steel jacket and lead filled, open on the bottom. They where live when he got them (he pulled the bullet from them). If anyone has seen rounds like this before he would love to know more about them. I know its not much to go on! Hopefully something turns up. Thanks and merry Christmas/holidays! :D
Rhys

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 451.jpg
    451.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 91
  • 452.jpg
    452.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 90
A steel jacket and lead core makes it no kind of AP at all, especially something a vague as a "mild AP" load. At first glance, it appears to be Chinese to me.

The lack of headstamp is interesting. FYI, the U.S. loaded 45 ACP ammo with copper plated steel jackets as standard ball ammo.

Note the extractor groove on the cartridge on the right. That is not a standard U.S. 45 ACP groove. That case could have been made from a Cal .30 (30-06) or 7.62x63mm draw piece.

The U.S. used CPS (copper plated steel)jackets for only a short time during WW II. Most were Gilding Metal Clad Steel (GMCS), a 3 layer sandwich. If you can melt the core of one of those bullets you can determine if it's CPS or GMCS.

Ray

Last edited:
Hello gentlemen, im Rhys' friend with the above 45s. Just wanted to try to answer a few questions so we can try to get them figured out.
First I did not pull them, they were pulled in the UK to be leaglly shipped to me in the US.
I dont know anything about these being mild steel I think that was a mix up.
I got 10 of these total, 8 with a rounded tail end and 2 with a more flat similar to modern fmjs on the bottom.
They have no plating at all what so ever just a straight up thick steel jacket.
Average bullet diameter 0.446"
Average bullet weight 237.5 grains
Ill have to wait til the weekend for more detailed info.
Thank you all for your input these have been stumping old collectors for a few months now.

After some smart people looked at pre-WWII Chinese made 45ACP, it appears that some of it was made using Chinese made 7.9x57mm cases.