What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Identification

imaokie2000

I picked these two projectiles up recently and haven't been able to identify them.

The top projectiles may be a "Home Made" projectile, but it has typical hammer marks you see on some projectiles from knocking it free from it's case.
It measures 36.3mm above and below the driving band.
The driving band is steel and measures 37mm diameter x 9.6mm in height.
It is 27.27mm from the base of the projectile to the bottom of the driving band.
The projectile is 99.96mm long.
It has no identifying marks.

The bottom projectile is 40mm diameter. It is made of steel with a flat top and an anodized aluminum base. It has spring loaded stainless steel fins. I can pull the fins outward and they will lock in place. I had to take them apart to unlock them.
It has a nylon driving band. This projectile is supposed to be an experimental finned projectile, made by Ford Aerospace and made for the L/70 Bofors. It has no identifying marks.
I suppose, it's an experimental Fin Test Projectile since there's no real reason to test a flat top projectile.

Any ideas?

IMG_1805.jpg

What does the base look like? The assembly looks more like a rocket than a projectile.

These pics are with the fins fully extended. I will have to take it apart to retract them, but not tonight. This day was too long..........................
Ford IMG_1806 (1).jpgFord IMG_1806 (2).jpgFord IMG_1806 (3).jpg

No, not a rocket assist. I sure wish I was. It would be my first but I guess this is kind of my first for this projectile too. I think it was a test projectile to specifically test this type of fins but I have nothing to back that up. I have an unstamped L/70 case that I will section to display the projectile in. It may be one of those rounds when someone asks me what it is, I say "DUHHH".

Thanks All!
....JR

Ive seen one before, I don't remember the specifics about it, but its for a 40mm cannon, experimental during the 80's I think. I know its not much but its something!

I've got something which may be a related earlier prototype, but mine looks like it is a recoilless design. Seems like I've posted before. I'll pull up a photo tomorrow if I get a chance.

Here is an old picture that I have at work. 40mm, fin stabilized, the projectile/warhead(?) on the forward end, the case apparently flying with the projo. There is a primer in the center of the base, somewhat like the Swiss 20mm recoilless. I found this downrange (slightly squashed) on a US artillery range, so it was actually fired. No idea from what or when. While very different from your design, you can see where it could be part of a similar concept.

DSC_0091.jpg

Yea, kind of similar. Orpheus sent me some Patent links for Fin Stabilized Projectiles & Rockets. Although I could never find a patent drawing exactly like my projectile, there were a lot of variations in fin design for both projectiles and rockets. It's like looking for a needle in the hay stack and I think I saw a patent drawing for the projectile you posted. There's so mny patents. I think they received a new patent if they just made minor changes in the designs.
.....JR