What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need info on Tiger Tank Round

Saaismail

Hi Folks - Hoping you can help me with any information about this round? I'm new to this but learning along the way. I'd be interested in what you can tell me about these pictures. I've never seen a projectile "tip" like this before. Is that some sort of protective cap that went on in place of a fuse, or is this another type of fuse? I'd also be interested in any info you could give based on the markings on the crate and label as to what exactly this was? Any comments on it's approximate value would be appreciated too...thanks!

Attachments

• vertical.jpg
    vertical.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140115_001.jpg
    WP_20140115_001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20140115_009.jpg
    WP_20140115_009.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140115_0041.jpg
    WP_20140115_0041.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
The AP shell without the ballistic cap has he narrow drivebands, so it is for the Tiger1, or a FLAK gun. The box is marked for a sprgr (HE), so not for this Pzrg.

So, what they said is that the thin sheet metal ballistic cap is missing from the projectile. The projectile is an Armor Piercing High Explosive one that would have a base fuze. The case is for the King Tiger, but the projectile with smaller rotating bands is for the smaller 88 round that was used by the Tiger I tanks and the FLAK 18 and 36 guns. AP ammo was issued to FLAK guns so they could be lowered down and used in an antitank role.

The crate is for a high explosive nose-fuzed round. So it is a collection of parts from various sources that don't all go together.

Hazord and others - thanks very much for your feedback. It's great having such knowledgeable people to help a "newbie" like myself. I know this May be a difficult call, but assuming the shell itself is a king tiger shell (obviously minus the projectile), including the crate, what would you say is the approximate value of is? I'm trying to get it shipped (legally) into the USA but it's an expensive proposition.

Just so I'm clear (which I'm sure I'm not). Would the crate be for a king tiger shell for sure or would it possibly be for a flak/anti-tank version? You probably already answered this but I'm still learning all of the abbreviations, etc. I see the crate is labelled for the kwk 43 (which I believe is the king tigers main gun) but it also says PAk which I believe is a general anti-tank gun, right? Hazord mentioned the crate is for a high explosive nose fuzed round - does that preclude it from being a tiger 2 designated crate?

Thank you again!

Saaismail,

If you look at the crate writing, the first thing you see is KwK 43, which is the designation for the King Tiger Gun. The following line says Pak 43 which is the designation for the antitank gun that fires the same round as the King Tiger. The King Tiger round is much taller than the Tiger 88 round, so the long crate is another indication that it is correct. The 8.8cm Spgr Patr is the designation for the nose-fuzed HE projectile that was supposed to go in the case.

If I were you, I would question the seller regarding the rest of the projectile that is in the case and can't be seen. The value would vary according to if it has the base fuze or not, the condition, etc. If it has a fuze stuck in it, good luck getting it into the U.S. I wouldn't touch it if it had a fuze stuck in it and can't be identified as empty of explosive.

Also, these cases are usually copper washed steel. It looks semi OK, but it could be a real rustball that has been patched with body putty and painted with brass colored paint. These rounds that are showing up now are either dug up from being underground for almost 70 years. If they aren't dug, they are coming from being under water where they were dumped at the end of the war, which also rusts the hell out of steel. The case could be a whiffle ball of parent metal steel and a lot of putty and paint.

If you are serious, and the seller isn't a crook, have him send you photos of the inside of the case and the rest of the projectile. Be advised it will be tough and pricey to get a new windscreen fabricated for the projectile. If this was a complete round in good condition it would sell on auction in the U.S. for $2,000.00 on up depending on market craziness, without the crate. This collection of random parts isn't worth that much.

Last edited:
You are welcome. There is no point in you getting screwed like a lot of other people out there. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. I have KwK 43 rounds. What part of the States are you in?

Last edited: