What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Internal View of U.S. M9 Rifle Grenade

ordnance

Premium Member
I'm doing a little research on the U.S. M9 HEAT rifle grenade, which was the first piece of shaped charge ordnance adopted by U.S. forces in 1940. It just occured to me that in all my reference sources, I have no sectioned view of this grenade to show internal details. Do any members have a drawing or other illustrations of the inside of this grenade?

And does anyone have details on the fuze it used? Unlike the later M9A1, there is no striker, creep spring, and gaine cup contained in the tail boom. On the M9, it is solid steel, just like on the M11 series practice grenades. The fuze mechanism sits in the bottom of the body and is kept safe by a pin inserted in the body about 1/3 up from the bottom and retained by a wrap of cloth tape. I have no idea what the fuze actually looks like.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

Thank you both for those images. Just what I needed.

The patent drawing seems more detailed than many similiar ones of similar items. More like a production drawing than a conceptual sketch of patent features.

Rick

Hi Guys is the tail section the same as that used on the M17 Rifle grenade?

Regards
Bart

Hi Paul,
First up I don't mean to Hijack the thread and I apologise in advance if I have annoyed anyone.
However If the threads are the only difference then I ask if you could have a look at this on Lex's website.
if you read down there is talk of pat's dug up relic M17 but has a Large thread that is not normally used.
http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/americas/unitedstates/m17.html

Is there a chance that there were some M17 heads re machined to suit M9 Tails?

Does any one have a fully dimensioned drawing for the M17 / M9 tail?

Regards
Bart