What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neighborhood Fuel Air Explosion

HAZORD

Premium Member
A number of bomb scene investigation books have examples of different kinds of explosion evidence. Low explosive deflagration versus high order detonation, steam explosions, and fuel based explosions.

The attached photos are what happens when a leaking acetylene gas bottle in the back of a plumbing van is detonated by the electronic door opener. I have no information about human casualties, but as you can see, the neighborhood is a mess. I believe it happened mid December 2009. I'm glad this guy isn't my neighbor.

Attachments

• image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image019.jpg
    image019.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image020.jpg
    image020.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image021.jpg
    image021.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 72
  • image022.jpg
    image022.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 67
The remaining photos or photos of the remains as it were.

Attachments

• image023.jpg
    image023.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image024.jpg
    image024.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image025.jpg
    image025.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image026.jpg
    image026.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 45
Good grief!!

I shall be taking extra care stowing my gas bottles now after seeing this. Thanks for posting the pics Haz.

cheers

waff

Yeah Waff, I have 2 or 3 bottles myself. I have the feeling that the owner might have left the gages turned on at the bottles, and just turned the valves off at the torch head, then forgot to turn off the gage valves. The Oxygen and Acetylene leaked from the hoses and filled the van in the proper mix, to get a really good bang.

It's not just gas. In the mid 80's a garage near my house exploded as if a bomb had gone off, completely wrecking the building and damaging houses nearby. A mechanic was gas welding under a car and the flame went through the fuel tank wall. The tank was full. The exposion in a confined space was devasting and two people were killed. I've also seen a gas tank depot explode and the gas cylinders rose like rockets to about a 1000 feet before dropping to earth. Scarey stuff.

John

explosion

Sorry not impressed but then I live near Buncfield, the fuel terminal that exploded, many nearby buildings looked like those near the van in the pictures, the rest of the industrial estate just looked like a war zone. But yes fuel air explosions are some of the most devastating. 2pr