What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 18Pr

Dandebur

Hello,
I have picked some new cases of 18Pr. I show you and I hope that will interest you.
British cases are interessant because they permit two collections: the cases and the primers. The diversity of the makers of primers N°1 is very impressive.
Case1: (pics 1&2) The case has the crimps but it is not a MkI but a MkII. VSM 1914. It is my second case of this sort. I have shown the other in a previous post.
Case 2: (pic 3) 18Pr II* for reuse during WW2 (campaign of France I think)
Case 3 (pic4) Maker REMINGTON UMC , not common, it exists also in 1915.
I continue in a second post.
Regards,
Dandebur.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 66
I continue.
Case 4: (pics 5&6) Maker EWBC but what interest me is the maker of the primer ENOTS in an oval.
Case5: (pics 7&8) Maker CC&F, not common, lot 14 M?. I had before only cases of 1916 and 1917.What is interesting, to my mind, is the letters JC. I think they are the initials of the inspector. He was before in the factory MAC where he was replaced by the letters BA or B only. In the factory CC&F in 1916 letters are HH and latter in 1917 replaced by HP. I had also never seen before this maker of the primer SP&FCo.
Hope that will interest.
Regards,
Dandebur.5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Dandebur,

Interesting cases, thanks for posting them.

Case 3 - This Remington case has a British primer made by EMB - Electro Mechanical Brake Co, Moor Street, West Bromwich.
Case 4 - EWBC - E.W. Bliss & Co, USA. ENOTS is Stone backwards, I have a vague recollection on this company. I'll do some research tomorrow.
Case 5 - CC & F - Canadian Car & Foundry Co., Canada. The primer is Canadian, I don't know the maker. I'll do some research tomorrow.

TimG

Update
ENOTS - trademark of Benton & Stone Ltd, Bracebridge Street, Birmingham.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have picked some new cases of 18Pr. I show you and I hope that will interest you.
British cases are interessant because they permit two collections: the cases and the primers. The diversity of the makers of primers N°1 is very impressive.

Case 2: (pic 3) 18Pr II* for reuse during WW2 (campaign of France I think)

Regards,
Dandebur.

When did 18pr cartridge production begin again after 1918?. There were so many live rounds and spent cases left after the great war I don't suppose they carried on producing cartridges until a lot later, I'm guessing the mid to late 30's. Does anyone know which year exactly?
Cheers
Gary

Hello,
Thank you for your replies, especialy for the identifications of the makers. Satisfied that has some interest.
I will show another primers.
Regards.
Dandebur.

After 1918 I have only seen several 1939 dated cases. I would love to see examples between 1918 and 1939!

I have a 37 dated example with a 38 dated primer. Stamped 18pr Mk IV ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) A in a Diamond LOT 9.7 S in a Diamond CF (Cordite Full charge) DW under a broad arrow. Will try and take a picture tomorrow....
Cheers
Gary