What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New addition FN: FAL50 short mag

hicky1300

Had heard of these existing but never seen one let alone the chance to get one! (picked it up today at Waterloo Flea Mkt).
Short 5 round magazine for the FN FAL 50 rifle.
I am used to the 20 round as used on British SLR`s but does anyone know of the point of goin for a 5 round capacity mag?
I understand FN also did a 30 round & a drum mag - we used to use the LMG mags on our SLR`s.
Would like to see pics of the drum version!!?

In some countries, I believe semi-auto rifles for civilian use are restricted to five round magazines. Sorry I can't give you any more detail of where these could be.

web search seems to show civilian FALs are chambered for .308 and that 5-round mags are for rounds in this cal so guess these are commercial items. Falcon could be right about short mags due to legal restrictions.

Yes L4 LMG (re-chambered Bren) and FAL mags could be used with SLR, which was an advantage to British troops in the Falklands facing FAL-armed Argentinian forces.

Last edited:
5 round mags were made to legally sell/or posses rifles in US states that have laws against "assault rifles". I believe California has a 10 shot limit at this time. This also hits many modern pistols which come with "high capacity" magazines.

As ever - excellent feedback/replies.
As far as I`m aware US .308 & NATO 7.62 x 51 are the same/interchangeable (bet TonyE will let me know if I am wrong!).
As to the LMG Mag/SLR use thing I was told you had to invert the rifle to get the full feed due to the spring not being up to the job as it was an upside down mag - never needed to do this myself & as a No1 on the LMG I had a choice of mags?
I remember assisting in relieving the Argies of their assorted selection of FALS being envious of the fully auto choice & the folding stock was novel but impractical with regards to marksmanship (my opinion). A few were kept (some are in several AAC & RAF crew rooms) but most dumped in the sea! Of all things I have an M3 Grease (7 Squadron have the rest) gun mag - the argies had a few of these as well as 1911 .45 Colts!!

To expand on highlandotter's post, a few states had 5 rd limits for hunting purposes. I converted some for that purpose but have since converted them back as the restriction has been lifted.