What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New addition to collection, Sectioned Mills No5

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

got this today, was going to sell it but on looking at it more closely i have decided that its possibly an official sectioned gren, more than likely made by Messrs Brooks & Doxey or Radnalls and therefore quite rare.

It looks almost identical with those that i have seen on various websites in both design, coloration and cut. The red paint inside and the shellac outside is worn and the gren has a nice patina of age, not a dug example thats been 'converted'.

It could be a 23, not sure, i have put a solid E.A.Radnall plug on it from 1915. Very pleased to have aquired it, here are a few piccys.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture538.jpg
    Picture538.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture539.jpg
    Picture539.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture540.jpg
    Picture540.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 54
Nice one Andy. Yes I agree, an original. Just stick a B&D 1916 plug on it and it's all there. I think the EAR plug is too early.

John

Certainly looks the part. What a great find.

Attachments

• mills section.jpg
    mills section.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 41
Great Mills

Nice Mills bomb Andy, the finish is just awesome. Agree that it is original section. Your collection must be a sight to see. I have mixed feelings on sectioned stuff after the fact so to speak and this one is a thing of beauty...Dano

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Concensus is that its a Brooks & Doxey and i will swap the plugs as John says for a B&D 1916. I dont have until now a sectioned No 5 in my collection and have been dreaming, yes, dreaming of one of these and its turned up. It was very cheap too.

Thanks y'all,

Andy

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Concensus is that its a Brooks & Doxey and i will swap the plugs as John says for a B&D 1916. I dont have until now a sectioned No 5 in my collection and have been dreaming, yes, dreaming of one of these and its turned up. It was very cheap too.

Thanks y'all,

Andy

Contract #1862 was formally placed by the Trench Warfare Dept in early January 1916 with Brooks and Doxey Ltd, for 2,010 Sectional Mills Grenades. Date of first delivery (actually prior to the contract paper) was early November 1915, with delivery at 200 per week. On that basis a base plug with a 10/15 through 1/16 date would not go amiss.

Tom.

Hi Andy, Unfortunately I swapped it years back (at that time they were quite common over here) so can't be sure of the maker. I know various makers of the boxed Mills turn up in NZ and I'll have a look and see if I've kept records of who they were. Cheers Colin