What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Addtion No5

Hi Guys, Heres the result of the lever strightening and rebending operation.Now it looks the part. Thanks Rob and John for the pics of your grenade and levers.

Pictured it sitting with my other No5s and a No23, the sum total of my WWI Mills Bomb selection

Cheers
Andrew/MG34NZ

A great line up there. In your third photo the grenade on the extreme left is actually an early type of casting (sometimes referred to nowadays as a "centre-cast", though not in documents of the period), unlikely to have been made much beyond the end of 1915. The levers with the outer facing rib were adopted toward the end of 1916, so as a point of detail it would be more accurate to put the flat lever on the early casting. There can't be many of that early type Down Under...

Tom.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I will swap the lever onto the centre cast body so its more in keeping with its period of manufacture.
All the early Mills grenades are quite scarce here from what I have seen. It took me a long time to find my first one then I landed three more this year in quick succession. Not to many more on the horizon as the ones I know of are jealousley guarded.
Will keep an eye out for an early base plug to compliment it also.

Regards
Andrew/MG34NZ