What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New monument in lincoln to the Tank

paul the grenade

Hi All, Not sure if anyone has posted pics of this yet but a new monument has been erected in Lincoln to the 1st WW tank which was manufactured here. i popped down today and took these pics. hope you like them. Paul

Attachments

• IMAG1115_1.jpg
    IMAG1115_1.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG1116_1.jpg
    IMAG1116_1.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG1118_1.jpg
    IMAG1118_1.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG1119_1.jpg
    IMAG1119_1.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG1120_1.jpg
    IMAG1120_1.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG1117_1.jpg
    IMAG1117_1.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 55
It looks very impressive.

Where is it in Lincoln? I will try to go and see it the next time I am in that part of the country.

its right next to the University on the roundabout at the junction of Tritton Road, The rope walk and Brayford way. About a 5 minute walk from the town centre. The red X at the bottom left of the map.
cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• lincoln central.jpg
    lincoln central.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 20
Question: Are those female contours historically correct? Meaning, yes, in WWII females replaced many traditional male roles, because men went to war and there was a shortage of hands. I am not aware of the same during WWI.

Oh yes; here in Britain so many men went off to fight, either volunteering or conscripted, that women went into all sorts of work that was previously the sole preserve of men. The women went into all types of factory, both "ordinary" factories and those that were producing munitions (the munitions girls were often referred to as "Canaries", because working with explosives turned their skin yellow). They also went into railway work (cleaning locomotives, etc.,) buses (acting as conductors), and many other jobs.

They were, of course(!) paid at wage rates well below those that the men got, but the fact that they could do much of the work as well as the men previously did did much to help them get the right to vote in elections some years later.

Roger.

Thanks. I guess living in USA skewed my history. US involvement in WWI was expeditionary so there was no big affect upon civilian population.

Thanks. I guess living in USA skewed my history. US involvement in WWI was expeditionary so there was no big affect upon civilian population.

Pulling two million men out of the workforce had an effect. Nowhere near what went on in France or Great Britain, but women went to work in the U.S. in WWI. By war's end, 16% of Springfield Armory's workforce was female, over 700 of them. Here are photos of women inspecting M1911 pistols at the Colt factory in Hartford, and working at Midvale Steel & Ordnance in Pennsylvania.
image.jpegimage.jpg