What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NGO-74 info please

Darrol

Premium Member
Hi all .does anyone have any cutaway or cross section images of the NGO-74 grenade projectile . . It looks like a smoke with 6 holes around the body?.Cant seem to find (if any) join .Thank you .Regards Darrol.Ps . I cant put a photo on here:(

Last edited:
NGO would be an HE round, I think. Smoke would be NGD.

I have a small sectioned illustration of the NGD-N smoke round, which has holes around it as you describe. Send me your email address and I'll send it to you.

The NGD-N is for standard 40x46 LV grenade launchers, whereas the -74 series were not NATO qualified and were only for use in the Polish Model 74 PALLAD UGLs for fitting to the AK-74 (they are usually designated 40x47 to distinguish them). However, the projectiles were often the same as the 40x46 series.

PALANT.jpg
There are all types of ammunition being used with grenade launcher Mod 74 (Mod 83): NGO-74 (fragmentation), grenade for NGC-74 (practice) and grenade for NGB-74 (ballistic, usually used for practice purposes). So, if the grenade has 6 holes - it must be NGC. NGD-N grenade has of course similar body as NGC, but there are a lot of other diferencies. Please note, that NG...-N family (N for NATO) is used with the newest grenade launcher SBAO-40 and is not interchangable with the older NG...-74.

That's true Przemo, but there used to be a wider range of ammunition in the -74 series, including the NGD-74 smoke round.

Thank you tony . .got it .unfortunatly it wasnt the one..my discription was pretty vague.Cheers przemo . . Its the middle one on the pic.got it open now :).do you know what the red band was made of? .Thanks again guys.Darrol.

Hi Tony, trust me - there are only mentioned three types of 40x47 mm rounds in use in Polish Army. As I know, no more types were manufactured. Regarding 40x46 mm - it is pretty huge family (I was involved in development some of them) including two smoke grenades, but there is no "74" number in designation.
Darrol - the red band is made of plastic and plays dual role: marking (in former Polish regulations red bands characterized practice ammunition) and closing the flash holes (it is destoyed while hitting ground)

Thank you przemo .now i know what to make it out of :)Cheers .Darrol

Hi Przemo,

My information comes from a Dezamet brochure. I have the pages in front of me now (I can scan them and send them to you if you like). It describes and illustrates the following rounds for the Pallad launcher:

NGO-74 (HE)
NGB-74 ("ballistic cartridge")
NGC-74 (Practice)
NGD-74 (Smoke)
NGG-74 (Tear gas)
NGZ-74 (Incendiary).

Of course, it is possible that Dezamet developed the extra rounds but no-one bought them.

OK,
I've found the same brochure. It looks, Dezamet adopted some grenades from SBAO project to 40x47 mm round, just a trade offer. No one use them in the armed forces, what's more they probably don't exist (apart from model) - I will confirm this info (I should visit DEZAMET this month).