What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No.1 Pull Switch

cockybundoo

After reaping the benefits of everyone’s knowledge and information, I began to feel guilty everytime I was met by the welcome message
Hello cockybundoo,
Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our community in our Introductions forum.
Why not start with your first post today and become an active part of BOCN now!’

So I decided that my first posting will be of a No.1 Pull Switch that I have recently sectioned.
It was my first attempt at doing anything like this, I learnt a lot and there are a few things I would do differently next time.

I don’t have access to proper cutting tools, so I had to resort to the old Mk1 Saw, hand, metal. I couldn’t disassemble it, as the top section was stuck fast either because of the damage and/or the fact that it also appears to have been crimped on.

I had to be very careful, as I didn’t want to damage the working parts. I managed to cut through it enough, to separate the individual parts.

I purchased it from a dealer who believed that it came from one of the Scandinavian Countries.
As the working parts were forward, the damage seems to suggest that it was because it had already been fired (either by use or in attempt to disarm it), or that it was part of a dump that someone attempted to destroy by fire.

I hope that people find my posting of interest and that my attempt to ‘pay back my dues’ has gone someway to help contribute to the BOCN network.
I would really like to thank all those that contribute and are so willing to share the knowledge they have. I gauged how good this network was, when I saw that Bonnex was a member and making posts.

Attachments

• No1 Pull Fuse - Sectioned.jpg
    No1 Pull Fuse - Sectioned.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Switch No.1 Pull Mk.1.jpg
    Switch No.1 Pull Mk.1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
No. 1 pull cutaway

Nice job Cockybundoo!
Good work cutting without damaging the insides.
Looks great after you cleaned it up.

All the best
T42

Thanks guys
For anyone's info, this is what I would do differently next time;
1. NOT use a dremel for smoothing the cut faces, it has a tendency to round the edges off when it 'rolls' off the edges.
2. I would run each cut face over fine sandpaper, which is flat, in order to end up with crisp edges and faces.
3. Do each piece separately, as I sanded them together and the joins seem to merge together and it is more difficult to distinguish each individual part.

I would like to have had less of a cut out section, maybe removing 3/8's (37.5%) in its cross-section. This unfortunately had to be reduced, so that I could free up and seperate the working parts which were stuck solid.

I may take it apart again, just to smarted up the cut faces.

Hi Cockybundoo,
Thank you for your post it looks really good, and great added info on how you would go about doing another section. Any tips to help out other members planning on having a go at cutting something are always good. Look forward to seeing your next project, best regards Weasel.