What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO. 21 British Signal

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
This is listed as a NO 21 British rifle grenade/signal from WWI ...

Any ideas if this is right? It isn't in any books I am looking through.

Dia: 59MM
Length: 257MM
Tail Diameter: 12MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-CP-45-13.JPG
    ICE-CP-45-13.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 42
  • ICE-CP-45-20.JPG
    ICE-CP-45-20.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 33
This is listed as a NO 21 British rifle grenade/signal from WWI ...

Any ideas if this is right? It isn't in any books I am looking through.

Dia: 59MM
Length: 257MM
Tail Diameter: 12MM

Joe

Not 21 Joe. It is a No 31 Mark II (or 32 Mark II) type. The model was used for several Signal payloads but the Nos 31 and 32 were its first use.

Jo . It's a No 31 Mk II or possibly No 32 Mk II . Difficult to tell without the original paint . I'll post a pic of one with its paint finish later . Mike

Signal Grenades

mvc-205s.jpgPicture.jpg
As promised . The first is a No 32 Mk II filled with green/red/green stars . The second photo shows a filing cabinet drawer containing dozens of mainly No 31 Mk II versions . This photo was taken in a store room at the IWM about 20 years ago . The grenades were in a terrible state & going rusty . I did offer to take them all away & stabilise them in exchange for one for my collection . Unfortunately , nobody could agree to this arrangement as it had to go to a committee for approval . As far as I know , they are still happily corroding away in their drawer . Tragic .

I had one, unpainted but mint. I swapped it about 20 years ago for a German stick, wish I hadn't ! live and learn eh ? Great pic of the drawer full Mike. You would like to think they had been preserved.

Tony . Don't feel bad about swapping your No 31 for a German SG . If we could all undo deals we have done in the past we'd be very happy bunnies . The chances of those 31's at the IWM being properly preserved [if they still have them] is non existent . They will never be displayed as the emphasis these days at most of our national collections is on poems & paintings etc rather than "war toys" . I make no comment on whether this is a good thing or not ....................Mike