What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 5 I Base Plug

Rifleman2

Bought this at a gunshow this morning.Can anyone identify the maker?

Attachments

• S7300144.jpg
    S7300144.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 60
  • S7300146.jpg
    S7300146.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 32
  • S7300147.jpg
    S7300147.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 31
I have a very similar trademark which is shown as Dover Ltd USA - But I doubt we imported No. 5 plugs from the US.

TimG

I have a very similar trademark which is shown as Dover Ltd USA - But I doubt we imported No. 5 plugs from the US.

TimG

That mark has puzzled people for years. Dover Ltd makes sense as they were an early maker. I think the latest dated plug I have with that mark is a steel No 23 Mk I from late 1916.

John

Clinched it! Dover cycle makers of Northampton

Later went on to make car and aircraft parts.

Dover of Northampton.jpg

John

The later No.23 MkII, MkIII , and No.36 MkI plugs did away with the stylised D and reverted simply to letters DLN - Dover Limited Northampton.

Tom.

Attachments

• DLN No.23 base plug.jpg
    DLN No.23 base plug.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 27
The later No.23 MkII, MkIII , and No.36 MkI plugs did away with the stylised D and reverted simply to letters DLN - Dover Limited Northampton.

Tom.

Thanks Tom / Dave. Considering the rarity of the DLN bodies what volumes did they manufacture? Until now I've only ever seen the D mark.

John