What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 5 Mills Grenade ?

IMGP0403.jpgIMGP0404.jpgIMGP0407.jpgIMGP0406.jpgIMGP0405.jpgHello
Please forgive me if I muck this up as I am new to your forum.
Can anybody help me identify this grenade which I think is a No5 Mills but has some odd bits to it. There is a brass bush where the striker goes through the body that screws into the inner sleeve. The Inner sleeve is made out of turned piece of allunium. There are no marks on any part of the grenade and the previous owner has repainted it.
Thanks Stephen

Yes , it's a No5 . Looks like it has been converted to a lighter at some time but very nicely done . Welcome to BOCN.

Thanks. It may have been but the inner linner has the large hole for the spring and striker, and the smaller hole for the detonator as you would expect. The brass bush is recessed into the top of the casting and takes the correct striker. it seems a lot of trouble to have converted back.
Stephen

I suspect someone with some skill and access to a lathe and milling machine has converted this back before repro inner were available easily, not original but some nice work nonetheless!