What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 67 Grenade

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Does anyone have any information or better pictures on the No 67 grenade?

Mad Bomber?????

Thanks

Pete

gren no 67.jpg

Hi Peteblight,
sorry that this is a photo,but scanner has gone on holiday! No pictures of it I'm afraid
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• PC060044.JPG
    PC060044.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 38
Many thanks for that, can you tell me where the information is from please?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,
It is from Ian Skennertons book"An introduction to British grenades",not sure if it is still in print,the one I have is a 1988 first edition,ISBN 0 949749 10 9
Cheers
Tony

Thanks Jack, i saw you were online and was waiting for a reply ;-)

Are you going to apply to OPCW again next year?

Pete

II. ANIT-PRSONNEL GRENADE (CHEMICAL)

1. GRENADE, HAND, No. 67

A - Description
This grenade consists of a 100-watt electric light bulb without a filament filled with approximately 250 cc. of B.1. and sealed at the neck with plaster of paris. Each grenade is labelled with instructions for use.
50 grenades are packed in a fibreboard case, reinforced by battens. The case is fitted with egg box compartments each holding one grenade in a paper sleeve. The case is painted grey with a black band 1.5 inch wide centrally around it. The code letter and number of the chemical filling is stencilled on this band in white letters.

B - Packing
Early issues were made in a cardboard box unpained and without a black band. This box also contained 50 grenades in two tiers of 25, each grenade in a corrugated sleve.

Package dimensions 21.5 in. x 21.5 in. x 15.25 in.
Package weight 74 lb.

FOOT NOTE: Source of information is DWS Notes on ammunition, pamphlet No. 12 Grenades, August 1942

Last edited:
Excellent thanks for that?

But do you have any pictures or better still know of anyone who has one?

Thanks

Pete

Sorry Pete, that pic you posted is the only one I have seen and I do not know if there are actually any of these items around "in the flesh" Tony.

Heres a pic of one and the copy i made of it from a normal lightbulb.
Paul.

Attachments

• no67.jpg
    no67.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 21
  • No67 repro.jpg
    No67 repro.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 22
HI ANDY.
ITS JUST A STANDARD 100W BULB. APPROX 90MM HIGH BY 55MM WIDE.
i CAREFULLY REMOVED THE METAL FITTING THEN FILLED THE END WITH BODY FILLER AND SANDED IT TO SHAPE. THEN PAINTED IT AND GLUED ON A LABEL.
EASY AS THAT.
CHEERS, PAUL.

Thanks paul, i will have to have a rummage around as we have those new type and they wouldn't like right:xd:
Cheers
Andy

Why did it have to be a 100 watt bulb? surely a 40 watt would have been cheaper to run!:wink:
Tony

Any way sorry to have made "light" of the subject,but there was a reason why 100 watt bulbs were used! Anybody know?
Tony

I think that old fashioned 100 watt bulbs were actually physically bigger than lower wattage ones.