What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 73

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Don't think I've posted this photo before -

While I'm not real big on British grenades, I've got a few. This is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• DSC_0116.jpg
    DSC_0116.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 61
This is the info i have on the no73 ,i dont know the name of the original source document so treat this as a guideline only....

NOMENCLATURE: Grenade, Hand, Anti‑Tank, No.73

SERVICE: Land

DESIGN/PART NO: DD(L) 11424

TYPE: Hand, Percussion, Blast

FILLED WEIGHT: 4 lb

EXPLOSIVE CONTENT AND WT OF EXPLOSIVE: 3.25 lbs Polar Ammon
Gelatin Dynamite

PRINCIPAL DESIGN FEATURES: A tin‑plate container 9.5 inches long by 3.25 inches in diameter, it is fitted with a No.247 Allways fuze. The whole thing resembles a Thermos Flask. It was used as an Anti‑Tank grenade or a Demolition Charge. It was fitted with the No.6 or No.8 commercial detonator.

MARKING: It has a buff body with a red filling ring, stencilled on it is "PAGD" OR "NG" in black.

entered service 1 Nov 1940 withdrawn from service Oct 1941

reintroduced Mar 1943 obsolete Jan 1946

Grenade, Hand, No.73, Anti‑tank, Mark 1

This grenade is intended for use against A.F.Vs. though it is more usefully employed for demolition work. It consists of a cylindrical tinplate container, about 9 1/2 inches long by 3 inches diameter. It has a tin lid which screws on to the container, interrupted threads being used to allow the removal of the lid to be done rapidly. In the middle of the lid is a recess, roll‑threaded with coarse threads to take Fuze No. 247 (see para. 7). The fuze is cemented into position and issued with the grenade. On the underside of the lid, screwed on to the fuze housing, is the detonator tube. This has a hollow stem designed to accommodate the demolition type detonator which is used to initiate the H.E. filling of the grenade. The detonator used is a No. 8 commercial detonator. The No. 6 commercial detonator which was first specified is now used for practice only, and the detonator tube has been adapted to take the No. 8. The H.E. content of the grenade is approximately 3 1/4 lb. or polar ammo gelatine dynamite (P.A.G.D.) wrapped in two layers of manila or kraft paper. When the lid is screwed on to the grenade the tube of the detonator container fits into a cavity formed in the top of the H.E. filling. There is a thin grey‑board disc inside the container beneath the paper‑wrapper filling. At the top of the filling is a felt disc intended to absorb any possible exudation from the high explosive used.

The lid is temporarily secured to the body when issued, by means of a strip of adhesive tape, which also helps to seal the joint against the ingress of moisture.

This grenade was declared obsolete in October, 1941, but reinstated as obsolescent in March, 1943.

Action. ‑ Before use, the lid of the grenade is taken off (after removing the adhesive tape). The detonator tube is unscrewed from the underside of the lid and the detonator inserted closed end first. The detonator tube is then replaced on the lid and the lid is screwed back on the grenade. The absence of the adhesive tape is now an indication that the detonator is in place. Some of the earlier issues of this grenade had badly‑fitting lids, and it was sometimes necessary; on replacing the lid, to use the adhesive tape as a packing in the screw threads to ensure that the lid did not fall off on throwing the grenade. This fault was remedied in later issues.

Marking. ‑ The body and lid of the grenade are painted buff with a red filling ring round the upper part of the body. The filled lot number, fillers initials, and date of filling are stencilled on the body and the type of is indicated by the letters " P.A.G.D." or " N.G." stencilled in black. The number and mark of the grenade are also shown.

Packing. ‑ Ten grenades are packed in a steel box, B.166, together with a cylinder containing 10 detonators.

Dimensions of box: 19.7 in. x 9 in. x 13.2 in.
Filled weight: 62 lb. approx.

Attachments

• no-73.jpg
    no-73.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
This specimen was manufactured by the 'Metal Box Co.' London in 1940.

Allan,

The first part of your information appears to come from the RMCS Shrivenham guide to British Numbered Series Grenades.

Regards

Tim

Very nice ! you just need a good No. 247 all ways fuse assembly to finish it off, should be easy to locate.