What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 80 / 44 ?

Bellifortis

Hallo,
this is a british fuse from the SOMME, WW 1. I assume this to be a 80 / 44 because 44 is stamped on the bottom. There are no markings on the fuze surface, only the ones o the bottom.No. 80-44 001 - Kopie.jpgNo. 80-44 004 - Kopie.jpgNo. 80-44 006 - Kopie.jpg Could somebody please explain the stamps on the bottom, the stricken through number and LOT E ? Does anyone have a good drawing of this fuse ? I assume this to be an AA fuse and most probably used on a shrapnel, because it is completely undamaged by a detonative wave. Thanks in advance for your input.
Bellifortis.

I don't believe you have an no 80/44 fuze there. I have no explanation of the '44' number, but every no 80/44 fuze I have seen is marked exactly like that, either on the body or base of the fuze.

Thank you for your info. Artillery fuzes are not really my subject. This was given to me many years ago by some young relic hunters as a souvenier from their Somme holiday. I have quite an extensive library, but somehow british fuzes of WW 1 are not included. It's strange, German fuzes are well covered in many different publications, but I do not even know a publication that covers british WW 1 fuzes. Can anybody explain the markings on this fuze and does anybody have a technical drawing ?