What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no 80 fuze confusion ...

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I found this a couple of years ago and thought it interesting that a no 80 fuze would be used on what looks like the top chamber of a gas shell. It was heavily rusted when I got it and looks to have been EOD'd by a small charge. Once I managed to free the time rings of the fuze I was more than a little surprised to find that the rings are unfinished, being solid brass! The body of the fuze itself also looks unfinished with no threads for the base plate. It's state when I got it indicated that the brass fuze was original to the steel and had been in the ground for a very long time.

Can anyone offer a theory as to why it might have deliberately been put together like this. TIA

20210508_175023.jpg20210508_175044.jpg20210508_175122.jpg

I guess it largely depends on where it was found also, and other points of context. EOD has been seen to do controlled explosions on harmless misidentified material i.e. training rounds or drill rounds, so it could be this is some dummy fuze that appeared to be something the EOD thought was live, therefore blowing the gaine.