What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 83 smoke Mk.2

poltewerke

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Here is a smoke gren from my small collection. Have always wondered why this type of coloured smoke is so difficult to acquire - millions must have been put into service, do any members know why they are so scarce? RonB.

Attachments

• fuzes & grens. 076.jpg
    fuzes & grens. 076.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 51
  • fuzes & grens. 079.jpg
    fuzes & grens. 079.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 39
  • fuzes & grens. 080.jpg
    fuzes & grens. 080.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 37
I guess because after use they rot away from the inside out. I'm still looking for a deecent one for my collection.
Hangarman

Made in large quantities and well used over the years, the training manuals state that used No 83 grenades may be cleaned and used for classroom instruction but in my experience, burnt out ones rust and fall apart very easily, so maybe a reason for there not being many around.
Nice item, I have one very similar, dated 1952 I think. Tony.

No. 83 gren.

Yes, l'm sure that is the main reason. l come upon a burnt-out one which was refurbished except the army guys did not prep the tin surface prior to painting. Cheers, Ron.

Hello Hangarman,
I'm cutting a training L83 A1 (training) to try and stop this 'internal corrosion', hopefully this will end up as a sectioned display example. Taking pictures as I get to each next stage. I remember from my time in RN that to prime aluminium we used 'Yellow Chromate'. Any ideas for how to stabilise aluminium oxide?
All best'
navyman.