What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Name 1 Pr

Gspragge

Premium Member
The projectile and fuze have no markings. I don't think they are polished off.
Has any one else seen these unmarked, not the normal thng for these ?
No marks on the fuze either. Three small pin holes in the base purpose unknown?
Maybe it was mounted on sonething ?

Attachments

• IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 48
Proper image of base and band comparison

I grabbed the wrong image of the base last time. The three holes are not threaded and are purposely drilled where they will not go into the hollow centre, this takes more thought than the usual mess made by somebody just messing about. So at least these holes are purposely planned. The band has a slightly different cut than on all of my other ones. The over all machining is very fine. The fuze is complete and the two internal pieces are there but there is no sign of any percussion compound ever being there. Could this be some kind of sample from an unknown company ? Again no markings and no signs of removal of any. Has any one ever seen this kind of machining before on the bands on one of these ? The odd thing is no markings and these usually have something on them.

My comparison with an AP type is because it was the only one I could pry out of the case.

Attachments

• IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
It appears to be some kind of souvenir, and was mounted on a brass plate originally.
The design registration number was given out in 1900. I presume the design is of the
souvenir item as a whole and not for the projectile design which was not at all new by
then.

I guess the only question is, is this a factory reject ? It seems rather decent for that ?
But the Boer War was on and maybe there was good money in these types of items for a
year or two.

Attachments

• PomPom.jpg
    PomPom.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: