What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No162 mortar fuze

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Heres my first cutaway in a long time,a No162 fuze ..im quite pleased how this has come out as i dont have the tools i used to have and only had a black and decker workbench a worn out hacksaw blade and some scraps of sand paper to do it with

Fuze, Percussion, D.A., No.162

41. General Assembly ‑ Fuze No.162, is similar to Fuze No.152 except that it is fitted with a safety pin to prevent premature arming. It is therefore inherently safer than Fuze No.152 and may be safely air dropped.

42. Safety arrangements

(a) The safety cap, which is removed before firing, protects the striker cover (cap) and striker, thus preventing damage during storage and transit.

(b) The detent and ball retain the striker in the unarmed position.

(c) The shutter is held in the unarmed position by the point of the striker.

(d) The safety pin, to which is attached a clip marked "REMOVE PIN BEFORE FIRING", retains the ball in position, thus preventing arming should the detent set back before the fuze is prepared for firing.

43. Action

(a) Before firing, the adhesive securing band, safety cap and safety pin are removed.

(b) On firing, the detent sets back against its spring, allowing the ball to travel to the end of the diagonal recess in the body. The shutter is retained in the unarmed position by the point of the striker, which sets back on its spring, and by friction.

(c) During flight, the detent returns to its former position and the striker moves forward, disengaging the shutter which arms under the action of its spring. In this position the detonator in the shutter is in line with the striker and the stemmed C.E. channel.

(d) On impact the striker cover is crushed, forcing the striker into the detonator.

fig-18.jpgfig-17.jpg

Attachments

• P1030683.jpg
    P1030683.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 125
  • P1030684.jpg
    P1030684.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 112
  • P1030686.jpg
    P1030686.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 98
  • P1030687.jpg
    P1030687.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P1030688.jpg
    P1030688.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 85
  • P1030690.jpg
    P1030690.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 76
  • P1030691.jpg
    P1030691.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 72
  • P1030692.jpg
    P1030692.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
With the tools that you have available that's not a bad job at all. Look to be nice straight cuts on the main part of the fuze and all of the important internal parts can be seen.

Well done Allan, nice to see you have not lost the knack and hope to see more in the future.
Regards
Andy

Nicely done Allan. Is the main body of the fuze a white metal alloy? The reason I ask is that I have a number of the 1" brass pins retrieved from blown 4.2" mortar bombs, and the remains of the fuzes they are in are white / grey metal. Nice to see your example.
Matthew