What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No2Mk2 Resurection

MG34NZ

Well heres the result of parts sourcing and some sympathetic restoration work,
When I obtained this No2Mk2 everything above the schrapnel ring was wooden as was the complete handle including the top "brass" fitting. These repro parts were very well done and painted to resemble aged brass.
The top of the grenade was cut off with a hacksaw for reasons unknowen some time in the past.
I bored out a portion of the brass inside the cast iron ring to allow an extention to be pressed in place and with some assistance machined up a new top portion for the grenade, the top cap is original and the screw in fuze section is recent manufacture.The brass handle boss is an original and the cane handle is the old repro part altered to suit the original boss,the linen tapes were stained with a bit of tea to give an aged effect rather than the crisp new stark white that they were..
Also pictured is the rifle grenade version of the same grenade,all nice and original.
Now Im on the lookout for a No19 grenade body as my next challenge....have you got one??

Attachments

• a246.jpg
    a246.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 55
  • b7bd.jpg
    b7bd.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 1bff.jpg
    1bff.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 65de.jpg
    65de.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Thanks for the posertive comments chaps.
Waff the resto wasnt to costly as the original parts wernt that hard to find and the machining and moderfication work on the was mostly done by me reusing the existing repro stick and linen tapes also the initial purchace price was very reasonable.
Regards
MG34NZ

Restoration

Great job MG. Just goes to show what can be done with time and paitence. Suppose a lathe comes in handy though!
Hangarman

Thanks again guys. The linen tapes came with the grenade on the repro handle it had so I dont quite know where you would find any. I would guess a sewing or craft shop or possiably upholstery outfit may be able to assist there.
The lathe is a great restoration aid, I had to get a little help with cutting the thread as thats a bit beyond me at the moment but Im working on upskilling myself in that department. I can do almost anything else after many years in the engineering field as a fitter welder.
Regards
MG34NZ

Last edited:
tape

My wife has a sewing box and has a big roll that looks just like that grenade tape, but i'm not supposed to know that because I have been banned from her sewing box for life (used to rescue all kinds of goodies out of there for restoration projects), since I was caught...Dano

Last edited:
My wife has a sewing box and has a big roll that looks just like that grenade tape, but i'm not supposed to know that because I have been banned from her sewing box for life (used to rescue all kinds of goodies out of there for restoration projects), since I was caught...Dano

hehehe... would you either be able to ask her who makes it or sneak in and see if there is a maker????

(Don't get caught or accidentally killed :tinysmile_fatgrin_t)

my missus keeps an eye on on her stuff now too,since I used her rolling pin as the start of a German potato masher grenade repro
-wasnt happy at all