What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No36 Mk1 base plugs

smle2009

While out with the dogs on my playground(old WW2 grenade range), I did the usual mole hill kicking thing and got my quoata of a pocket full of base plugs,perhaps this is a sub-concious hobby? At home I cleaned them off and noticed that I had two that I hadn't found before,one was made of cast iron & the other was brass.The cast iron one is marked No 36M MkI JH.W. 1942,the brass one is marked (in circles) 36M MKK(K is over cast) AF date is damaged but it looks like it began with a 4...are these unusual?
Cheers Tony

Attachments

• PA100001.jpg
    PA100001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 36
  • PA100002.jpg
    PA100002.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi Tony,

nice finds as only about 5% of WW2 Mills base plugs were made of either cast iron or brass, the rest being zinc alloy.
The iron one was made by John harper, Willenhall, Staffs, not sure about the brass one.
I hope that you will be able to recut the threads.
Well done.

Andy

Brass Base Plug

[...]the brass one is marked (in circles) 36M MKK(K is over cast) AF date is damaged but it looks like it began with a 4...are these unusual?
Cheers Tony
In my modest experience these brass types are uncommon (it makes it a relatively expensive plug compared with those made of cheaper alloys). The few brass AFs that I have seen are 44 dated. TimG might come up with a fix on the manufacturer, there are several candidates in my list but I don't know which one would be correct.

Norman,

At the moment I can't really narrow it down. However, out of the 6 odd possibles the Austin Motor Company and A. Fenwicks of Birmingham seem the most promising. Fenwicks were more into delicate work, making masonic jewellery and kindred ware. As you point out it is unusual that it is made of brass, it also appears to be possibly die-cast, making it more unusual.

Regards

TimG

Last edited:
I have 3 brass plugs, all made by the same maker but all dated 1943.
Dave Sampson's website shows a pretty good example, again dated 43, with AF? as the maker. guess we will never know.

Andy

Last edited:
Norman,

At the moment I can't really narrow it down. However, out of the 6 odd possibles the Austin Motor Company and A. Fenwicks of Birmingham seem the most promising. Fenwicks were more into delicate work, making masonic jewellery and kindred ware. As you point out it is unusual that it is made of brass, it also appears to be possibly die-cast, making it more unusual.

Regards

TimG

Turned another brass plug up yesterday,same maker and 1944 dated...I think we can safely assume these were die-cast looking at the casting marks left on this example.

All the best
Tony

P5200012.jpg

Attachments

• P5200011.jpg
    P5200011.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 26