What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No36

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
I Have A No 36 MK1 with the letter M just under the filla plug dose anybody know what it stands for please.
Andy

Attachments

• P1020869.jpg
    P1020869.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I was told the M stands for musgrove and co of Belfast do anybody know different or could this be right.
Andy

If its a WW2 Gren with an it wont be Morum and Co as they ceased trading under that name after WW1. They used M & C L as a makers name. With a 43 centre tube [Andy told me] its a WW2 gren.

Andy

Oh right. Cheers for the info Andy.
I was looking through a past thread and found that M could be Canadian, Montreal Munitions

I hate to disagree Andy, but a standalone "M" is for Montreal Munitions, a Canadian manufacture of the Mills No.36.

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited:
Maxwell, Canada. The only reason i say this is that i have a G36 box and written on the box is maxwell made in canada.

Dave

I hate to disagree Andy, but a standalone "M" is for Montreal Munitions, a Canadian manufacture of the Mills No.36.

Cheers,
Brad
Hi Brad,

i said it wouldnt be Morum and Co, didnt say anything else which is unusual for me[LOL]. Dont think its Musgrove either so could be Montreal or Maxwell as Dave says.

Andy

No.36

Hey Andy
I've just learned from the chaps here (first cutaway, also maked M) that the Canadian grenades have red crosses directly above the middle and the green band directly below.
By the looks of the picture you posted, looks like there are traces of paint to suggest it is Canadian...

All the best
T42

Hi Andy,

its a gren with an M on it, i reccon its the best answer you will get. I believe a great deal of the records of who made what and when went up in the Blitz during WW2. Maybe the info is in the National Archive at Kew, who knows.
Still, all cleaned up, it will be a nice addition to your collection.
By the way, posted filler today.

Andy

I think we can safely say its Canadian but which maker? and thanks Andy.
Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy & Gavin,

yes, i reccon its from across the pond but as to the maker, well i guess we will never know for certain unless someone uncovers the records. Still,as i said, nice gren.

Wish i had one.

Andy

Maxwell, Canada. The only reason i say this is that i have a G36 box and written on the box is maxwell made in canada.

Dave

According to a list I have the official mark or monogram for Maxwells Ltd, Ontario was ML.

Thats brill Norman, reccon you have narrowed it down to Montreal Munitions but dont quote me[lol].

Andy

Thanks again guys i think we can safely say its Montreal Munitions from Canada then, now the other question is shall i leave it as it is or take it back to bear metal what do you think.
Andy

Thanks again guys i think we can safely say its Montreal Munitions from Canada then, now the other question is shall i leave it as it is or take it back to bear metal what do you think.
Andy

Leave it as it is! I would. I love a bit of paint on Mills bombs, sets them out from the rest

My two cents (CDN)... Leave it as is. It looks great!
A Mills No.36M Mk1 wouldn't look right if it were bare metal. The waterproof coating gave it a nice colour, far nicer than the bare cast iron (my opinion).

Cheers,
Brad

Andy

because there is still some original shellac on it and tracers of paint i have decided to keep this one as it is and just polish it with beeswax, and thanks for all your help.
Andy