What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No75 Hawkins mine

Freudendal

Hi, All
I would like to show my No.75 Hawkins mine:tinysmile_fatgrin_t.
Hope you like it.
Regards
Rasmus

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 172
Another mine

Attachments

• DSCF0432.jpg
    DSCF0432.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0430.jpg
    DSCF0430.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF0427.jpg
    DSCF0427.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0426.jpg
    DSCF0426.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0423.jpg
    DSCF0423.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0422.jpg
    DSCF0422.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0420.jpg
    DSCF0420.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 64
Hello Guys
I also have a mine that looks just like the ones you two have,I have been told that its a reproduction.I was told that the orignals have a crimp on the back where the orignals were spot welded ,at the top of the piece where the vile fuse was attached.I might be able to find the articale that had that information in it.I would love to find out otherwise.
Cheers Vinny :tinysmile_classes_t

A/t 75

Great images and for those who are not fully up to speed with the A/T 75 I've included some more information. Plus a short story , Once upon a time when I was a young Spr driving a G10 shovel ( A 1 RB) I was tasked to keep a field drain clear whilst a pond was being dredged to allow the removel of Ord left behind by the "D" day troops at the end of the job I was given the job to clean and oil the tools , being short of oil I remembered digging lots of old rusty cans from from the drain, Yes you guessed it A/T 75 with the plate rusted off. But me being brand new and trying to get a good name "Bashed" a can open for the oil & out rolled sticks of dynamite, rule number I fetch Sgt. sorry to go on but it seemed a good tale.

John

Attachments

• scan0005.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 125
There are some really good fake No 75 Hawkins Mark II Mines out there. So far there are two things that give the examples I've seen away as fakes aside from the weight which is heavier than a real one but that would be hard to know if you don't have an original to compare.

The first thing to look for is small "U" shaped knockouts in the four supports for the Striker Plate (flat sheet metal on towers above the main body). These are built in weak spots in the supports to allow a vehicle to detonate the mine.

The second would be easier for the makers to correct and that is the seam on the long edge when looking at the mine while the end cap is on the right side of the body. Examples of fakes I've seen have a crack or seam there as opposed to a smooth continuous weld.

Shots attached show both sides up close so these features can be seen. Markings on this one are "No 75 MK 2" and "ROSCO 12/44". Note its a Mark 2 and not a Mark II due to the late date since nomenclature began to slowly change from Roman to Arabic Marks on things British beginning that November.

Attachments

• Hawkins1.jpg
    Hawkins1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Hawkins2.jpg
    Hawkins2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 65
Mine or Grenade?????

Gents,
When did this change from being a Grenade to a Mine?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

I misleadingly called it a mine in my initial post and this message thread is in the mine forum. But the No. 75 has always been on the Grenade list officially. Functionally it works as a mine though, having two contact detonators to set it off.

There are some really good fake No 75 Hawkins Mark II Mines out there. So far there are two things that give the examples I've seen away as fakes aside from the weight which is heavier than a real one but that would be hard to know if you don't have an original to compare.

The first thing to look for is small "U" shaped knockouts in the four supports for the Striker Plate (flat sheet metal on towers above the main body). These are built in weak spots in the supports to allow a vehicle to detonate the mine.

The second would be easier for the makers to correct and that is the seam on the long edge when looking at the mine while the end cap is on the right side of the body. Examples of fakes I've seen have a crack or seam there as opposed to a smooth continuous weld.

Shots attached show both sides up close so these features can be seen. Markings on this one are "No 75 MK 2" and "ROSCO 12/44". Note its a Mark 2 and not a Mark II due to the late date since nomenclature began to slowly change from Roman to Arabic Marks on things British beginning that November.
Hello I forgot to Thank you
vinny