What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No848 Mk9 Bomb Fuze.

ron3350

Here are two No.848 Mk9 bomb fuzes as used in British 4.5" Mk11 Reconnaissance flares and photoflash bombs.
I show a complete fuze in the Reconnaissance flare to show how it looks fitted to a bomb. Fuze dated 7/74.
The sectioned fuze was converted from Mk7 to 8 to 9 with old Mks barred out. Dated 3/67. It has FUZE 848 MK9 in black .
The bomb came with a steel fuze plug stamped : N015 1 F ^ ESBE. I assume this is the correct plug?

Fuze c.jpegFuze b.jpegFuze a.jpegFuze d.jpegFuze e.jpegFuze f.jpeg

Attachments

• Fuze with 4.5" Flare.jpeg
    Fuze with 4.5" Flare.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi Ron,

Are you please able to show a picture of the steel fuze plug stamped NO15 1 F ^ ESBE.

Thanks,

Invest

Plug 15 a.jpgPlug 15 b.jpgNo.15 fuze plugs seem to be a common short plug that fits 25Pr Smoke and Star shells and the Flare bomb. These can only accept these 22mm high plugs due to the plate under the fuze.
It has a flat base. I also show two other No.15 plugs found in Queensland in a firing practice area. They are 2" x 14 tpi threads.

View attachment 181137View attachment 181138

Hello,

Does anyone know who the manufacturers initials ESBE and TR stand for on Ron's plugs?

And any idea what the I.F. and I.S. stand for, as well.

Also, I've seen I.T. on the same type of plug with the T over stamped with an F to become I.F., any idea what the original I.T. represents.

Thanks,

Invest

Last edited:
As mentioned above, same type of plug with the T over stamped with an F to become I.F.

Attachments

• Plug No. 15 (1).jpg
    Plug No. 15 (1).jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Plug No. 15 (2).jpg
    Plug No. 15 (2).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Plug No. 15 (3).jpg
    Plug No. 15 (3).jpg
    269 KB · Views: 9
  • Plug No. 15 (4).jpg
    Plug No. 15 (4).jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 8
ESBE - Scott Bonnar Ltd, Adelaide
TR - Possibly - Tyler Rubber Co. Adelaide. SA (Their assigned monogram was TRC/S, but might have been simplified)

For a 'T' that cross bar seems very short.

If I remember correctly - the suffix after the mark on a plug denotes the material from which it is made -

S - Steel
M - Metal (Brass)
F - Cast Iron
P - Plastic

TimG