What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Korean PG-7 Part 1

EODGUY

NK PG7.jpgNK PG7 warhd.jpgNK PG7 os.jpg

I had a question asked of me about North Korean PG-7 rounds. I have no written data on any standard PG- HEAT round, but I do on this unusual Fragmentatiion round. There are no external markings on the round to identify it as North Korean. The external markings appear to have been not done in Korean so it could be exported without being traced. The only ID is taken from the markings on the internal base fuze. The round can be found painted either in dark green or gray, but both have a single red band on the body as shown. Markings on the warhead are, for example: "F-7 8-81". On the motor are: "NR-4 8-81-T". All markings are in black. Because of the gray paint on the first rounds encountered they were thought to be chemical, but it turned out that was not true and there was not a shaped-charge cone either. The warhead contains a two-piece phenolic type sleeve with round steel balls embedded in it. Each ball is about 5mm in diameter. The complete round weighs a little over 4 pounds and it contains about a 9 ounce charge of explosives inside the frag sleeve. There is no point initiating element in the warhead, just a simple impact base fuze. The fuze markings give in addition to the typical year and lot information, the Korean marking for "PG-7 Type", instead of a separate fuze designation. Fuze markings are stamped in black ink. I'll attach another post with drawings that give the round dimensions.

Awesome images! Thanks a lot! Right what I was looking for.
Any chance you could show us the markings of the fuzes??? That would be most appreciated.

NK PG7 xray.jpgNK PG7 fuze marks.jpg

Here are the fuze markings. Somewhat interesting on my fuze in that there is no lot number stenciled on it. The year "80" and the factory code "53" are stamped in the metal and usually the lot number is stenciled in the space before the "-80". It is stenciled because it changes. Also thought I would throw in an x-ray of the round to show how randomly the steel balls are placed in the warhead. Bob

Bob, you made my day! Thanks a lot!
Finally I know that I once had a North Korean HEAT when I was in Angola.
Mine just had the fuze with Latin designation "NR-7" (as being a copy of a VP-7) and was from the same factory made in 1985. The lot was also in black paint while the year and factory were stencilled.

Anyone here who could translate the 1st line where the fuze designation is given? Would be most interesting to know.

According to the translator I took it to, the fuze writing translates to "PG-7 Type". If someone has something different I also would like to know.
Bob

Anyone here who could translate the 1st line where the fuze designation is given? Would be most interesting to know.

It can`t be translate, because it doesn`t have any thense :wink:
Korean transcription - Bi Juh - 7 Ryu