What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norwegian Det. box Mk46 mod 1... Previous owners?

turpin42

Hi all
Got this box a few days back and need some help as to what it held and who the previous owners were (I'll explain)
The box is 53cm wide, 36cm deep and 19,5cm high, really heavy box even empty. Norwegian stencils, dated 1968 on the top and 1956 on the side in yellow.
Inside there is a black painted (once sealed) tin. Nice woodwork on all sides to support the inner box.
Thought it would make a great tool box (postwar not so much my thing) and never thought much more about it until i moved it and found the underside painted in british service brown and after having a look at it found 1944 stamped in the side beside one of the handels.
Can anyone help with ID of the original box?

Many thanks and all the best

T42

Attachments

• What box1.jpg
    What box1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
  • What box tin.jpg
    What box tin.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 25
  • What box inside.jpg
    What box inside.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 22
  • US cardboard.jpg
    US cardboard.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 30
  • What box front.jpg
    What box front.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
  • What box under.jpg
    What box under.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 011020101449.jpg
    011020101449.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 26
THis type of box was used for 2pr pom pom. They normally had a galvanised finish with information on the contents stencilled in black. There are a pair that keep popping up on ebay in fairly good original condition. Its nice to have the original tin liner with wooden packers. I wonder if the liner is canadian as all the Canadian SAA liners i have come across have removable lids wheras the British ones usually have a tear off lid.
Cheers
Hangarman

It's a British C.190, still in use today. The tin liner and wooden inserts are British pattern too and are probably original to the box.

Thanks

Hi guys
Thanks for the info, great stuff!
I'll see if i can strip the paint down and see the original markings underneath. Have found the modern paint comes away easier than the wartime stuff...
There came up a big NA in red on the backside of the box...
Was it only used for the 2pr pom pom rounds?

Thanks again

All the best
T42

Last edited:
Your 4th photo seems to show part of `Hands across the sea'/lend lease design (US to one of its allies in WW2). Saw it on many WW2 155 mm propelling charge packages in Caerwent, Wales in 1979. XT