What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notches on a 12-pounder shell case

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the notches on this shell case are part of the original design, or some kind of trench art?
Any more information about the manufacturer would be much appreciated!
Thanks in anticipation.
Gary

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The tabs between the notches were bent over to secure the closing disc in the mouth of the cartridge
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
Thanks - That's a relief!
A lot of this stuff arrived while I was abroad and I've never looked at it properly!
Can you tell me anything about the Headstamp? What do the letters KN stand for? And the crossed-out letters?
Thanks again,
Gary

It started off having a full charge of a smokeless powder - "C", but was not fired, thus the "F" has been barred out. It was then loaded with a reduced charge - the first "R". The case was reloaded again with a reduced charge, but was not fired and the charge removed, thus the second "R" has been barred out.

KN is indeed Kings Norton.

The encircled "A" denoites the case has been Annealed.

C20 - IIRC, dates when the case was annealed.

TimG

Last edited:
The KN does indeed denote Kings Norton The "frame" around the letters is a drum. This symbol is found on much UK ordnance, even .303" chargers.

gravelbelly