What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NucWeps slide show

Slick,
great find. Some of these blasts were in the movie entitled "The Atomic Bomb" movie. Narrated by William Shatner. It also had some scientists who worked on the Atomic and Hydrogen Bombs.

My question has always been is what are the white streaks that occure outside the Bombs detonation?

Mark

I too have seen the movie about the atomic bomb tests that you mention...Most interesting indeed. I was told that the streaks that you see in some of the tests were actually rockets fired just prior to detonation that left a smoke trail so that the effects of the blast at different altitudes could be observed.

There's a note on one of the pictures making mention of the rocket trails and their use in tracking the shockwave from the blast. One of the more fascinating aspects are the pictures of the "infant" explosions. Just think what we could have seen if they'd had digital photography back in those days.

Thanks guys, that one bothered me for a long time. Thanks again guys!

Mark
V40