What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number 68 grenade

SG500

Premium Member
For some reason this got added to the collection the other day, I don't collect grenades as a rule so it was a bit of an impulse buy.

What was the performance of these 68 grenades? Presumably with a cone in them they were AT.

All INERT of course.

Dave.

Attachments

• New shells 040.jpg
    New shells 040.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 57
  • New shells 041.jpg
    New shells 041.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 51
  • New shells 042.jpg
    New shells 042.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 52
  • New shells 043.jpg
    New shells 043.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 45
No. 68 Grenade

The No. 68 Grenade was fired from a discharger fitted to the rifle using a ballistite cartridge. The cartridge had significant recoil so the rifle had to be braced against a sandbag or similar object and not fired from the shoulder. The effective range was 75 to 100 yards and it could penetrate approximately 2 inches of armour. The grenade functions on impact.

The Small Arms Training Vol 1 Pamphlet No. 13 1937 for the No. 68 Anti-Tank Grenade (Rifle) and No. 69 Bakelite Grenade (Hand) can be downloaded from Scribd. It has some information on how to use the grenade as well as the functioning of the grenade.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.scribd.com/doc/32381634/Small-Arms-Training-Anti-Tank-Grenade-No-68-Genade-No-69-1941[/FONT]

The No. 68 Grenade was fired from a discharger fitted to the rifle using a ballistite cartridge. The cartridge had significant recoil so the rifle had to be braced against a sandbag or similar object and not fired from the shoulder. The effective range was 75 to 100 yards and it could penetrate approximately 2 inches of armour. The grenade functions on impact.

The Small Arms Training Vol 1 Pamphlet No. 13 1937 for the No. 68 Anti-Tank Grenade (Rifle) and No. 69 Bakelite Grenade (Hand) can be downloaded from Scribd. It has some information on how to use the grenade as well as the functioning of the grenade.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.scribd.com/doc/32381634/Small-Arms-Training-Anti-Tank-Grenade-No-68-Genade-No-69-1941[/FONT]

Thanks Ammocat, I'm well out of my comfort zone on this one.
Dave.

Nice bit of kit Dave, the only one[part thereof] is the bit you sent me.

Here is a piccy of the Burns cup that it could have been fired from. This would have fitted a Mk 111 or 111* not a Mk V of the WW2 issue SMLE.

Andy

Attachments

• Burns cup.jpg
    Burns cup.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thanks Paul/Andy.
The cup is a really solid looking bit of kit! No wonder a sandbag was used to rest the rifle against.
Dave.

Small Arms Training Pamphlet

SG500
I am assuming that when you say you are out of your comfort zone, it is the downloading of the publication that you are not comfortable with. I have scanned (AVG) and saved the pamphlet as a pdf file and it is 1.56MB, so I believe it is small enough to email. If you or anyone else would like me to try to email it, let me know.

SG500
I am assuming that when you say you are out of your comfort zone, it is the downloading of the publication that you are not comfortable with. I have scanned (AVG) and saved the pamphlet as a pdf file and it is 1.56MB, so I believe it is small enough to email. If you or anyone else would like me to try to email it, let me know.

Hi no what I meant is I've not got much idea about grenades. The pamphlet you posted is excellent information and thanks, I particularly like all the photos of the buy bracing the rifle against sandbags/walls etc.
Thanks again.
Dave.